Paws For A Cause Walk for breast cancer awareness this Friday

(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)

Dog lovers are always looking for places to go with their furry friends, and now there is an opportunity for owner and pet to both get exercise, while helping the community.
The Omega Tau Sigma coed professional veterinary fraternity is hosting "Paws for a Cause Walk for Breast Cancer," on October 24, from 4:30-7:00 p.m. The event will be located in Kiesel Park.
"We got the idea because it was breast cancer awareness month as well as adopt a shelter dog month," said Tina Leasor, junior in veterinary school and one of the coordinators of the event.
The event is a 5k walk or run, with activities beforehand for both owners and pets.
OTS is working with veterinary suppliers and food companies for the event including Dechra, Hill's, SCAVMA, Purina and AVESS, the veterinary school's own business.
They have also paired up with Leigh Clark, a masseuse from Better Bodies in Opelika, to make sure no one is sore after the event.
"I figured I could serve a dual purpose," Clark said. "I could help the dogs and the people feel better after the dog walk." Clark will be giving out massages for free throughout the whole event. She will have a massage chair and a sign in sheet if anyone wants more information.
"It's for breast cancer, and that hits very close to home for my family," Clark said. "I think when you have a skill and a business in town you need to give back when you can."
Before the walk, The American Veterinary Medical Association will be giving out gift baskets and other objects in a raffle. The first 100 people to sign up will get a free gift, which is a breast cancer pin, Leasor said.
Laurie LeMonds, junior in veterinary medicine, helped Leasor come up with the idea for the event.
"We've been wanting to do more philanthropic work for the community for quite some time," LeMonds said. "It's been quite a challenge because we've had difficulties within the chapter and then we had the tornado a few years ago that hit the house that we still are in the process of trying to rebuild."
Because of this, their community service efforts have been declining in the past few years, and they wanted to give back to the community.
All of the proceeds made at the event are going to breast cancer research, LeMonds said.
"My mother had breast cancer (and) survived it," LeMonds said. "Students here (are) going through the same scenario."
They ask that only dogs that are on leashes and have current vaccinations attend. Admission is a $20 donation, or $10 with a student ID; including student ID's from Tuskegee, who also has a veterinary school.
"After the 5k we'll have a dog washing station for anybody who's dog gets a little rambunctious," Leasor said.
Clark says that she hopes that the event is able to raise money and awareness for breast cancer.
"It's a growing interest and funding research for a good cause, " LeMonds said.

Share and discuss “Paws For A Cause Walk for breast cancer awareness this Friday” on social media.