Alumni follow dreams to find career opportunities

Programs that received recognition were there College of Business, the College of Education, the College of Engineering and Computer Info Technology.
(File photo)
Programs that received recognition were there College of Business, the College of Education, the College of Engineering and Computer Info Technology. (File photo)

From New York City to a farm in Huntsville, Auburn graduates are finding their passions through their post-graduate careers.
Sarah Ragan graduated in December 2012 with a degree in art, concentrating in printmaking. Today, she is a calligrapher and designer focusing on weddings, creating custom invitation suites. She has an online print shop called Ragan House.
"I fell in love with hands-on production and found that it was much more satisfying than working solely on a computer," Ragan said. "I knew that, when I graduated, I wanted to explore more hands-on design, which led to me finding calligraphy."
While trying to learn calligraphy and launch her business, Ragan said she had doubts and frustrations, but she learned to be fearless when trying new practices.
Morgan Myers graduated in December 2012, and her husband, Taylor Myers graduated in May 2012. They met in fruit and nut production class their junior year, both pursuing degrees in fruit and vegetable production, and married in July 2012.
"There are two things that we know that we are called to do, and one of them is to feed people, physically and spiritually," Morgan said.
Along with caring for their 5-month-old daughter, they are currently building a cabin in Trenton, Alabama, near Huntsville, and plan to move in at the beginning of 2015. Taylor has set aside approximately 15 acres to grow or rotate animals on. They have a little more than an acre filled up to grow on next year.
"It hasn't all fleshed out yet, and our dreams are still growing," Morgan said.
They said the goal is to supply fresh produce to restaurants, start one farmer's market and have a small community-supportive agriculture.
The idea is a family that wants fresh produce would sign up ahead of time and pay an upfront payment to plant the seeds. Then, every week, the farmer meets the family at a specific time with a box of vegetables, herbs and recipes.
"I think because we're together, me and Taylor, the things that I don't know, he does and the things that he needs help with," Morgan said.
Through this, the Myers said they can pursue their dreams of feeding and loving others.
McKenzie Strawn studied apparel merchandising and graduated in August 2014. As a student, Strawn interned at Moda Operandi, a company which allows customers to pre-order designer collections online.
Strawn said she heard of the companythrough the Apparel Merchandising and Design Association.
"Use relationships to your advantage, and be humble about it," Strawn said. "It's really all about who you know, and having those connections helped ten-folds over."
After completing her internship, Strawn went back home to Atlanta and started lining up interviews. After freelancing for the company, Strawn's boss offered her a position helping their new initiative for pre-selling boutique merchandise.
"It's been kind of stressful because I feel like all of this has been happening at once," Strawn said. "I can barely stay afloat, but that's fun."
The fashion industry is incredibly last-minute and in-the-moment, according to Strawn, and she is learning to run with it.
"It was cool to see everybody wanted to help me get to where I needed to be, and I feel very blessed to be where I am," Strawn said.

Share and discuss “Alumni follow dreams to find career opportunities” on social media.