To dorm, or not to dorm?

false

For many, the deciding factor for where they will live is all about location, location, location.

Some students opt for the convenience of living on campus, but others choose off campus amenities.

Rent, good roommates and proximity to campus are all factors that need to be taken into consideration when a student picks where they want to live.

Cameron Bridges, sophomore in computer science, currently lives on campus and is finishing his first semester at Auburn.

Because he's never lived on his own before, Bridges said he chose to stay in the dorms. One reason he said he likes it is because it's very social and allows him to interact with other students.

"You always see people walking down the hallway," Bridges said.

Bridges said another plus to living in the dorms is being able to sleep later.

"We're in the center of campus, so you don't have to worry about getting up super early to get to class," Bridges said. "Most of the time I get up five minutes before and go to class."

Luxuries like that are one reason Danielle Lee, junior in civil engineering, also chose to live on campus. Lee said she has lived in the dorms for the last three years, and enjoys the convenience that comes with living on campus.

"Since you only pay one time, you don't have to worry about bills or things of that nature," Lee said. "Because of scholarships and stuff like that, I don't have to have a job to pay those bills monthly."

Bridges said two of the major downsides to living on campus are having less space and less privacy.

"I don't have my own room to go to," Bridges said. "I mean, he's (his roommate) okay, but I'm pretty sure if you have a roommate that's not as okay would be worse."

Besides having to share a room, Bridges said another drawback is sharing bathrooms. For the most part it's okay, Bridges said, unless your suitemate accidentally locks you out from the other side and you have to call maintenance.

Mary Nicholson, senior in nursing, said she spent her first two years at Auburn living in the dorms before moving off campus.

Nicholson said not having rules about when people can visit is one advantage to living on campus, but best of all, "...there's no midnight fire alarm!"

"You have your own laundry and your own cooking space, so you don't have to walk anywhere to do any of that," Nicholson said. "You have your own bedroom and bathroom."

While having those freedoms is definitely a perk, living off campus has drawbacks as well. Driving to class and contending with parking woes are two cons students living off campus must cope with.

Also, Nicholson said, new students and freshmen might miss out on the opportunity to meet as many people during their first year if they live off campus.

"I would say live on campus at least for your first year and then decide whether you want to stay," Nicholson said.

Each said they recommend freshmen and new students try living on campus at least once, regardless of where they end up.

Even if it's only for a semester, Bridges said, students should try it out to see how it goes.

"I enjoy it, but some people might not," Bridges said. "It just depends on your preference."

Share and discuss “To dorm, or not to dorm?” on social media.