Rain doesn't deter residents from coming to 15th annual Auburn CityFest

Barbecue smoke hung low in the humid air of the 15th annual Auburn CityFest. 

“Rain or shine,” the event would take place at Kiesel Park on Saturday, April 25, but the 7 a.m. storm had Sara Custer, Auburn CityFest co-coordinator of six years, worried.

“That’s the life of an event planner,” Custer said. “But I try not to worry too much … Everybody came out, and it’s been great seeing everyone in their rain boots.”

The concept for CityFest originated on a restaurant napkin in 2000, when two Parks and Recreation employees decided over lunch to put together an arts and crafts festival. It began small, like many festivals, but, now, the festival has 10,000-15,000 patrons who attend each year, according to Custer.

“This event brings in visitors from outside the area, and we love that,” said John Wild, president of the Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau. “But it’s great for all the local people too.”

The Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau partnered with CityFest to organize a juried art show Thursday, April 23, to be held in conjunction with the festival.

Approximately 45 artists participated in the juried art show. Artists received merit awards, and two pieces received a best-in-show award. Their pieces were displayed at the Historic Nunn-Winston House at Kiesel Park the day of CityFest. 

Settled near the back of the exhibits under a tree, Julie Brock sat next to her white tent with “Art by Jules” embroidered over the front. 

Brock participated in the juried art show. She owns a small distribution center where she supplies products for nonprofit organizations, such as schools, daycares and churches. She began painting approximately one year ago and is “absolutely obsessed with it.”

“The good Lord gave it to me because I needed something to do,” Brock said with a laugh. “I love it, and I have fun with it.”

Other festivities included live performances from bands, such as Soul Coalition and Big Swamp Blues Band, and piglet races. The festival had more than 150 exhibitors including arts and crafts, fine arts, food and nonprofit, according to Custer.

Share and discuss “Rain doesn't deter residents from coming to 15th annual Auburn CityFest” on social media.