Auburn men’s golf places three on All-SEC teams

<p>A golfer lines up his putt on the 18th green. (File photo) </p>

A golfer lines up his putt on the 18th green. (File photo) 

Auburn golfers Ben Schlottman and Matt Gilchrest were named All-SEC first-team, and Michael Johnson was named All-SEC second-team on Thursday, April 30.

Schlottman also won SEC Freshman of the Year, as well as being named Freshman All-SEC.

Schlottman is the first freshman in Auburn history to make the All-SEC first-team, and it is the first time Auburn placed two golfers on the All-SEC first-team in the same season since 2002.

At 69.67, Schlottman’s stroke average currently ranks as the lowest single season stroke average in program history, and it is good for third-best in the SEC and first among freshmen.

The freshman had four top-five finishes this year, including runner-up finishes at the SEC Championship and the Schenkel Invitational.

Gilchrest’s 70.41 stroke average is currently the second-lowest in school history and eighth-best in the SEC.

Johnson won the Tiger Invitational presented by Jason Dufner, and finished with co-medalist honors at the Gary Koch Invitational. His 71.19 stroke average is tenth in the SEC.

Coach Nick Clinard has coached four All-SEC first-team selections, nine second-team selections, six Freshman All-SEC selections and one SEC Freshman of the Year in his six years at Auburn. 

Share and discuss “Auburn men’s golf places three on All-SEC teams” on social media.