Consistency at Offensive Line key to 2015 Success

Starting in the fall, the Tigers’ offensive line will have to fill three large spaces from the loss of their star four-year center Reese Dismukes, guard Chad Slade and right tackle Pat Miller.

However, under the direction of J.B. Grimes, the Tigers have enough room to pick starters.

Senior Xavier Dampeer and Austin Golson make up the top contenders to replace Dismukes, who earned the Rimington Trophy at the conclusion of his senior season.

Dampeer holds an advantage in the lead for the job. At 6-foot-2, 305 pounds, he has seen action with the Tigers in five games behind Dismukes, and was ranked the No. 1 junior college center by 247sports back when he was recruited in 2013.

Although Dampeer is the favored senior, Golson has a good shot to earn the starting spot. Coming from a strong SEC football program, he played in 12 games for the Ole Miss Rebels as a true freshman — although mostly at guard — before transferring to Auburn in 2014.

The left tackle spot belongs to Shon Coleman, who enters his third season following a battle with leukemia starting in 2011. The junior saw plenty of action in 2014, starting a full season of games at left tackle.

At right tackle, Avery Young returns to the offensive line after starting a full season of games, rotating from left to right tackle before staying at right. Young is currently named in two preseason award watch lists, including the Outland Trophy and the Rotary Lombardi Award.

This season also marks the return of Alex Kozan, who suffered a serious back injury that prevented him from seeing play time last season. The 2013 All-American was cleared for fall camp, but even with his absence, the guard joins Young on the Outland Trophy watch list.

Sophomore Braden Smith tops off the offensive line at right guard after appearing in 13 games last season. Smith made his first and only start during the Outback Bowl loss against Wisconsin.

Dismukes' play will be a tough act to follow, but whether Golson or Dampeer snags the starting position, their size and ability will help quarterback Jeremy Johnson buy himself more time to move the ball.

Share and discuss “Consistency at Offensive Line key to 2015 Success” on social media.