Beans and Bellies a success for local belly dancing troupe

<p>Alex Johnson of Village Plains Tribal Fusion dance group showcases her talent at Coffee Cat in downtown Auburn on Friday, Sept. 4th. (David Topper | Photographer)</p>

Alex Johnson of Village Plains Tribal Fusion dance group showcases her talent at Coffee Cat in downtown Auburn on Friday, Sept. 4th. (David Topper | Photographer)

Village Plains Tribal Fusion, a local belly dancing group, hosted Beans and Bellies: A Belly Dance Showcase, Friday, Sept. 4 at Coffee Cat. The event served as a fundraiser for the troupe's theatrical show. 

The group, which started two years ago, combines different styles of belly dancing into a style of their own, according to Alex "Arianna" Johnson, director of the troupe.

Gayla Caldwell, member of Village Plains Tribal Fusion, has been belly dancing for two and a half years. 

Caldwell said her favorite dance was the first dance they performed tonight, Cat Groove. The group performed a second dance at the end. 

Caldwell said Cat Groove had the Charleston in it as well as arabic dance moves. 

"I think it's going well," Caldwell said. "We've got a lot of people that showed up. We're very encouraged that people are out and want to see what we're doing, so that's a great thing." 

Caldwell said Coffee Cat was a good venue for the event. 

"I think the biggest thing is that people don't know we exist yet," Caldwell said. "And we're working on that, so that they're more aware that we're here and that this is what we like to do." 

Caldwell explained the costumes they wear while dancing and said there were two types of tops, a gwazee coat which allows the belly to be covered, and a choli that shows the belly. 

According to Caldwell, coin bras are also worn with two 25-yard skirts and she said they wear bloomers underneath with tassel belts on top. 

"It is very hot," Caldwell said. "That's why you see us with fans." 

Caldwell also said they make their own costumes and have sessions with students teaching them how to make the belly dancing costumes. 

In between dancing, John "Doctor Pogo" and Maria "Professor Anita Cheesegrater" Phillips, provided live music with ukulele and clarinet. 

Maria said  they perform classic Hawaiian ukulele songs, and her favorite songs to play were "Come Sail Away" and "The Thing." 

"People recognize that one ("Come Sail Away"), and they don't expect to hear it from ukuleles because originally it was a piano in a rock band, so it just takes people by surprise, and I think they like it," Maria said. "It makes them giggle a little."  

Maria also said John has a few original songs, but they played covers tonight. 

Alexandra Dellavecchia, friend of John and Maria Phillips, said she came to the event from Macon. 

Dellavecchia said she performed in burlesque shows with John and Maria Phillips, and they told her about the event. 

"I really love belly dance because it teaches you how to experience your entire body," Dellavecchia said. "You don't think about all the little muscles that you use every day, but when you're belly dancing you have to isolate different parts of your body." 

Village Plains Tribal Fusion's next performance will be Saturday, Sept. 12 at Uptown Drum Circle in Columbus. 

Share and discuss “Beans and Bellies a success for local belly dancing troupe ” on social media.