The San Jose State vs. Auburn football game on Oct. 3 will recognize Auburn Athletics’ sustainability, according to a press release from the University.
The Office of Sustainability’s Spirit of Sustainability Award winners will be recognized on the field. Volunteers will hand out recycling bags and buttons before the game.
The University joined the Green Sports Alliance this year, an organization that consists of more than 300 professional and collegiate teams, leagues and venues that exists to “promote healthy, sustainable communities where we live and play.”
Athletics' new cleaning contract stipulates the use of green cleaning supplies, according to the press release.
The Office of Sustainability offered fans these tips for a green game day experience:
- "Shop locally and purchase fresh, organic foods for a game day spread that supports local businesses and provides the best nutrition.
- Avoid the disposable and pick the reusable to save money and produce less waste. Examples include reusable plates, cups, utensils, and tablecloths.
- Choose plastic and aluminum rather than glass and Styrofoam. Auburn only recycles plastic and aluminum on game day, so pick items that can be recycled.
- Reduce air pollution and save fuel on game day by riding Tiger Transit and carpooling with others.
- Volunteers will distribute recycling bags for tailgaters, as well as the 300+ recycling bins on campus to give your plastic and aluminum a new life."
The Auburn Green Game is sponsored by the Athletics Department, the Waste Reduction and Recycling Department, the Office of Communication and Marketing and the Office of Sustainability.
For more information about the Green Game, contact Jen Morse at 334-844-7777.
Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.