Student art exhibition to open at Fieldworks Gallery

The opening reception for Spacing, a student art exhibition, will take place at Fieldworks Gallery on Thursday, Oct. 29 from 5-7 p.m.

The event is free and open to the public.

Spacing features the artwork of student artists in the professional practices class including Britni Arrington, senior in art; Jonathan Bailey, senior in fine arts; Michelle Gordon, senior in art; Jessica Jackson, senior in fine arts; Noel Sapp, senior in fine arts and Rebekah Thompson, senior in fine arts.

Their artwork approaches the idea of “space” in a variety of ways and media, according to the exhibit's Facebook page. 

Thompson said she is hosting the art exhibit.

“It is a time where the artists will be at the gallery, and so you’ll have time to be able to ask them about their work and introduce yourself and get to know people in the art scene at Auburn,” Thompson said. “It’ll be another opportunity to see the work just in a different setting because artists will be there, which usually doesn’t happen when you go to view an exhibition, so it’s kind of an unique experience.”

Bailey said he will be presenting two pieces, Dark Wind and Godzilla, which are both oil on canvas.

“Dark Wind is an abstract piece that uses a lot of shapes and textures,” Bailey said. “Godzilla is a photorealist painting, and it uses underpainting techniques.”

Bailey said he is excited about showcasing his work.

“What I’m most excited for is just getting my art out there and letting people see it and learning the process behind having your work shown and how to prepare,” Bailey said.

Arrington said she is looking forward to the exhibit, as it is a transition into a more professional setting.

“We’re all really, really excited about it mostly because even if we have showcased our artwork before, this is a different kind of arena," Arrington said. "You go through a process within the class where you submit work, and then they have to be selected as they would in a regular show like in the real world when you’re not submitting through the University. Personally, I’m showcasing two photographs and one photogram, and it’s really neat because when you are taking this course, usually it’s the end of your junior year or beginning of your senior year, so you’re kind of wrapping up as a student, and you’re really starting to hone in on your own personal craft.”

The exhibition will run through Nov. 18.

Share and discuss “Student art exhibition to open at Fieldworks Gallery ” on social media.