What to wear on game days

Members of the Auburn Family wear orange and blue every day, but on Saturdays in the fall, these orange-and-blue-clad family members flock to campus for game days, sporting a variety of different looks. There is everything from the traditional dresses on women and sport coats and ties on men to the more contemporary jersey.

In the past, everyone wore their Sunday best for the game, sweating through August games and shivering at the end of the season. For women, dresses were expected, and khaki slacks paired with a button-down, sport coat and tie were more commonly seen on men. 

Today, the possibilities are seemingly endless. People wear more casual outfits suited for the weather. At the beginning of the season, shorts and shorter skirts dominate the scene and are replaced by longer hemlines and pants as the season progresses. Women can dress up more casual ensembles with orange and blue accessories if they don't want to wear a dress. Men can trade in blazers for sweater vests. Footwear for seasoned veterans of football games is often selected for comfort because standing for hours in the student section can be exhausting.

Though it is fun to dress up and look cute, I'm glad game days are more casual. It takes the pressure off spending hours preparing for the game and allows me to focus on what is important — spending time with my friends and cheering on the Tigers. 

Freshman year, I thought dressing up for games was paramount. I would wake up at 6:30 a.m. to begin my routine. After about two hours, I was ready to stand in the sun all day. 

I wore something besides a dress to a game for the first time last year. I wore my old No.12 jersey I got for Christmas in seventh grade (I loved Brandon Cox) and a pair of jeans. It was so freeing. I was so much more comfortable and warm, and I can't believe I hadn't embraced other trends before. 

My advice to anyone who is lost in a sea of orange and blue is to wear whatever you are most comfortable with. If you like dressing to the nines, complete with wedges, accessories and flawless hair and makeup, then own it. If you want to wear jeans, a T-shirt and go au naturale, that's great too. If you want to meet in the middle, wearing a cute top and orange and blue pants or a skirt, then I will probably want to know where you bought your outfit.

No matter what, be prepared to stand up for a few hours in the student section, cheering your lungs out for an Auburn win.

Share and discuss “What to wear on game days” on social media.