Caffeine consumption not dangerous if moderated

Many people might have been told by their parents not to drink coffee as a kid because it would stunt their growth. However, that all-too-common saying is purely myth, according to Dr. Frederick Kam, medical director for the Auburn University Medical Clinic. 

Caffeine, the drug people consume to wake themselves up, improve their concentration and memory and stay up late, can be dangerous but only if overused, Kam said.  

There are actually some medical benefits from consuming caffeine, according to Kam. He said evidence shows having a couple cups of coffee per day can reduce the risk for Parkinson's disease, potentially Alzheimer's and a few types of cancer. 

"The answer to the question, 'Is it good?' Yes," Kam said. "Just like, believe it or not, alcohol. Alcohol in the right amounts is good for you. Well, same thing for caffeine." 

But Kam also said caffeine can be addictive. 

From drinking too much of the most common form of caffeine, coffee, Kam said people could sweat more, get headaches and feel jittery. 

Medically, Kam said he's seen people come to the hospital who aren't accustomed to having caffeine, but may have consumed a double shot of espresso. He said the symptoms are like a heart attack without chest pain. 

Trembles, sweat, restlessness, loss of focus and communication troubles are all signs of overusing caffeine, according to Kam. 

If people start drinking coffee at young age, their body will become reliant on it, Kam said.

Being used to caffeine and suddenly quitting cold turkey can make the body experience withdrawal symptoms, according to Kam. 

Kam said 300 milligrams of caffeine per day is a good amount for one person. 

He said 1 cup of coffee averages approximately 100 milligram, so people should strive to limit themselves to 3 cups. 

Diet pills and other pills including caffeine can be dangerous if someone isn't careful about reading the label, according to Kam. 

Pills can have a large amount of caffeine at once, so being aware of the amount is crucial, Kam said. 

Caroline Logan, freshman in communication disorders, said even though coffee doesn't appeal to her, she thinks people should drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day. 

Sleep is important to perform well in school, Logan said.

"I know a lot of people want to stay up all night, but my dad told me he said he stayed up all night and got a 20 on his physics test," Logan said. 

She said people should try to get at least six hours of sleep. 

"For me to wake up, I need to go exercise," Logan said. 

Katherine Williams, 2013 graduate in communication, said now she only drinks decaffeinated coffee, which she's trying not to have often. 

Williams used to drink 1 cup per day simply because her roommate made it.

"I wouldn't have made it myself, but it was there," Williams said. 

When Williams drank coffee, she said she wouldn't have it past 2 p.m. because it affected her strongly. 

At the start of 2016, Williams said she gave up caffeine for New Year's. Last year, she said she did the same and lasted 30 days. When she stopped drinking coffee last New Year's, Williams said she had a headache lasting three days. 

"I think that anything your body is addicted to is not really good for you," Williams said. 

Kam said he has not experienced anyone dying from caffeine overdoes, but said it is possible to do so. He said if elderly people with heart problems or children who are used to it consume caffeine it can be problematic. 

According to Kam, there is no data showing caffeine shortens life span, so as long as people are moderately consuming caffeine, he said it's really not dangerous. 

Share and discuss “Caffeine consumption not dangerous if moderated ” on social media.