Chemical spill in Broun Hall, no injuries

A chemical spill in Broun Hall caused the building to be evacuated, but there were no injuries, according to Chance Corbett, associate director of public safety and security.

The chemical caused a small fire, but it was quickly extinguished, according to Corbett. The smoke and heat activated the fire alarm, and the building was evacuated. The alarm automatically called the Auburn Fire Division, and they responded in a matter of minutes, according to Corbett.

"We're also going to make sure we get it cleaned up right before we let people back in the building," Corbett said.

Michael Hamilton, associate professor of electrical engineering, said approximately an eighth of a cup, or 10-25 grams of gallium chloride spilled and oxidized, causing the fire.

Hamilton said he is not aware of any injuries, and does not think any of the chemical got on anyone.

Shiqiang Wang and Ran Cheng, graduate students in electrical engineering, were in the lab when the chemicals spilled.

Wang said the chemical was in powder form in a glass tube, and the tube broke when it fell on the floor.

"I saw the bottle was broken, and I ran into the room and I asked our technician to deal with this," Cheng said.

Corbett said risk management will assess the building and people will be allowed back in in approximately an hour.

Share and discuss “Chemical spill in Broun Hall, no injuries” on social media.