Flo Rida, Natalie La Rose and Lil Jon to perform March 31 at Auburn Airwaves

University Programs Council announced Flo Rida, Lil Jon and Natalie LaRose will perform at its annual Auburn Airwaves concert on March 31.

UPC took a tally of about 20 artists, analyzed the results, made lists, crunched the numbers and ended up with the artists, said Haley Horn, assistant director of major entertainment.

"I think it's going to be great," Horn said. "Flo Rida is definitely really popular among students, so we're hoping for a big turnout. Natalie La Rose and Lil Jon are going to be great too."

The performance will be on the field by the Red Barn. Tickets are free for students and public prices will be announced soon, Horn said.

Last year's concert, which featured Kesha, Nelly and Nick Jonas, was fraught with controversy.

The Magnolia Avenue and College Street intersection was blocked off for the "Corner Block Party" and the city instituted a one-night-only open container law for downtown.

Thousands turned out for the event, but many residents found the performances offensive.

Lori Fuller, Auburn resident and mother of two teenage children, was the first person to address the City Council during its first meeting after the concert. She was upset that Auburn Airwaves fliers were sent home with Auburn City Schools students and she demanded an apology from the city.

“Shock – complete shock to many [parents],” Fuller said. “There was no warning. This was not a G or PG-rated family event. If you sent (a flier) to kindergarten or fifth grade, that naturally assumes the city had done their due diligence.”

Some City Council members were also disturbed by the concert, though the Council approved the temporary entertainment districts before the acts were announced.

“I think it was totally inappropriate for downtown Auburn,” said Councilman Tommy Dawson, Ward 8. “I was disappointed in it. I don’t know how it happened, but I can promise you this, in the future, I’ll personally take a more a role in reviewing these things we approve.”

Mayor Bill Ham said he had never heard of most of the performers, but the incident would not stop the city from collaborating with the University in the future. 

Bobby Woodard, associate provost and vice president of Student Affairs, issued a statement about the concert a few days later. 

"The acts for the Auburn Airwaves event, which occurred after the Auburn Oaks dedication ceremony, were selected by the student leadership of the University Program Council (UPC)," Woodard wrote. "This experience is one of the ways that students have the opportunity to make decisions and take responsibility for those decisions as part of their growth and development. The feedback we receive following events is valuable. We will share this feedback with UPC so that as they bring future performers to campus they will have a variety of perspectives. Hearing the concerns and opinions of others help us to ensure that future acts will appeal to more of our Auburn Family."

Jim Little contributed to this report. 

Share and discuss “Flo Rida, Natalie La Rose and Lil Jon to perform March 31 at Auburn Airwaves” on social media.