'Assassins' presents a new angle on American history

“Assassins” has been a long time coming for director Chase Bringardner.

Since the first day of the semester, Bringardner, associate professor in the department of theatre, and the cast have been working to bring this controversial musical about the assassinations of U.S. presidents to life. This is Bringardner’s first time directing a Stephen Sondheim production, but he has first-hand experience, appearing in Sondheim’s “Into the Woods” at Telfair Peet Theatre. 

“It’s not the kind of musical that will make you hum the songs once you leave the theater,” Bringardner said. 

He also mentioned Sondheim’s musicals are known for being incredibly layered. Since the subject matter is so different compared to other musicals, the songs may catch some audience members off guard.

"The music may sound cheery, but the lyrics can be evil," he said. “The sound of the music itself is placed in extreme juxtaposition with the content of the lyrics.”

Bringardner said he knows how much research and effort the actors need to put in to capture the essence of a Sondheim musical.

"Notorious assassins like Lee Harvey Oswald and John Wilkes Booth star in the play," Bringardner said. "It provides a new angle in history through the minds of these self-proclaimed heroes.”

"One of the biggest challenges with the production is having the audience develop empathy for Americas," according to Bringardner.

He believed this would be one of the biggest challenges as a director and for the student actors. However, Alex Horn, a senior English major, accepted the challenge by playing the role of Charles Guiteau, who assassinated James Garfield in 1881.

In “Assassins,” Guiteau is a comical figure, drawing laughs with his nuttiness and song, “The Ballad of Guiteau.”

“I would work on it at least two or three hours of every day,” Horn said. “Once you get into character, you start thinking through your part and the implications of what you are doing every day. In real life situations, I would sometimes ask myself, ‘What would Guiteau do?’ He’d look on the bright side and kill President James Garfield.”

It’s that mix of comedy and drama that separates Sondheim’s work from many other composers.

“Everyone, hopefully, is going to enjoy a Sondheim show on different levels," said Collin Webster, the orchestra director. "Whether it just be the characters, sets or the cheerful music contrasting the sinister lyrics."

Auburn University Theatre and the College of Liberal Arts present Sondheim's "Assassins," on the main stage at Telfair Peet Theatre Feb. 25–March 6. Auburn University students can reserve one free ticket at cla.auburn.edu. Tickets for the general public are $15. University faculty and staff, senior citizens and non-Auburn University students will pay $10.

Share and discuss “'Assassins' presents a new angle on American history” on social media.