Board of Trustees approves 3 percent tuition increase, engineering student fees

The Board of Trustees approved a 3 percent tuition increase per credit hour at its April 8 meeting. 

Auburn University currently has the second-highest tuition rate of any Alabama public senior institution at $10,424 for residents and $28,040 for non-residents. 

The increase will raise the annual number to $10,736 for residents and $28,881 for nonresidents. 

The increase will begin in fall 2016. 

The board also approved the establishment of engineering student fees. There has been a significant increase in engineering enrollment over the last 10 years, according to Dean of Engineering Christopher Roberts, but not an increase in resources available to the college.

In fall 2016, these fees will be $400 per semester for freshmen and $700 for sophomores, juniors and seniors. Beginning in 2017-18, these fees will be tied to the rate of increase in resident student tuition, said Provost Timothy Boosinger. 

The board also approved:

• The creation of a master's degree in industrial and organizational psychology. 
  • A name change — the department of aviation and supply chain management is now called the department of systems and technology. 

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves 3 percent tuition increase, engineering student fees” on social media.