Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions endorses Trump

Alabama’s junior senator made his first presidential endorsement today. Sen. Jeff Sessions endorsed businessman Donald Trump for president at a Madison, Alabama, rally that drew thousands.

After months of anticipation and hinted support, the senator once again donned Trump’s “Make America Great Again” cap and verbally endorsed the New York real-estate mogul.

"Nobody is perfect," Sessions said. "We can't have everything, can we, Mr. Trump? In my opinion, at this time in America's history, we need to make America great again. I am pleased to endorse Donald Trump for president."

Sessions first revealed a political infatuation for Trump at a rally in Mobile in August 2015, but the admiration appears to go both ways.

Sessions, a conservative powerhouse in the Senate, helped Trump write his immigration plan.

“Some people are good, some people are okay, and some people are lousy,” Trump said. “But some people are great. I have a man who is respected by everybody here, and I have a lot of respect [for Sessions].”

Trump was not the only presidential hopeful vying for Sessions' support.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has mentioned the Alabama senator in reference to their partnership on immigration on numerous occasions during Republican debates this cycle, but Trump won ultimately won Session's support.

"We have an opportunity Tuesday, and it may be the last opportunity we have, for the people's voice to be heard," Sessions said. "You have asked for 30 years, and politicians have promised for 30 years, to fix illegal immigration. Donald Trump will do it."

According to Sessions, Trump is the best candidate to lead the United States in regards to immigration and trade policy.

"The American people have known for years these trade agreements have not been working for them," Sessions said. "(The Trans-Pacific Partnership) will damage America. It will create a commission that undermines our sovereignty. Donald Trump will see it does not pass."

Trump revealed on his twitter moments after his private plane made a fly over above the stadium that he had a “surprise” for everyone in the audience. That surprise was Sessions’ endorsement.

“We’ve kept it a surprise,” Trump said.

Trump’s rally in Madison, a suburb of Huntsville, drew several thousand. According to Trump, the rally drew upwards of 30,000.

“This is the biggest rally of the political season by far,” Trump said. “We have 30,000 people. Hey cameras, take a look over here. Unbelievable. 32,000 people. This is amazing. They won't let them in. They can't get in. Let them in.”

A large portion of the crowd was not able to get into the venue. According to Trump, thousands were lined outside the venue waiting to get in, but they were not allowed to entire because of safety codes.“Mr. Fire Marshall, who ever the hell you are, let them in,” Trump said.

Immediately after Sessions' endorsement, Black Lives Matter protesters began to protest. Police and security officials escorted out numerous protesters throughout the event.

"Remember people, we have to love everyone," Trump said. "All lives matter."

Trump is leading in many polls conducted of the 13 Super Tuesday states, including Alabama. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Cruz are Trump's closest competitors in the South.

Rubio visited the Alabama, stopping in Birmingham and Huntsville a few miles from the Trump venue, the day before Trump. Several of Trump's surrogates attacked Rubio before the event began for his positions on immigration and trade.

"Over the last couple of weeks, nasty, nasty things are said," Trump said. "Marco is a light weight. When you're up 20 points, we're up—they hate the guy in Florida. He couldn't even be elected dog catcher in Florida. I call him 'Little Marco.'"

Trump also recently received the endorsement of former hopeful and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. 

Trump praised Christie for his performance in the New Hampshire Republican Debate.

"I got the endorsement of Chris Christie, a tough guy, a good guy," Trump said. "I watched (Rubio) melt in front of me. Chris started grilling light-weight Marco Rubio. He was pouring water. He was sweating. It looked like he just got out of swimming pool with his suit on."

Trump's visit comes two days before Alabamian Republicans will vote for their choice to receive the Republican nomination.

Share and discuss “Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions endorses Trump” on social media.