Four Auburn players arrested Saturday on drug charges

Four Auburn football players were arrested Saturday night by Auburn city police, according to Auburn Police Department logs.

Sophomores Carlton Davis, Jeremiah Dinson, Byron Cowart and Ryan Davis were arrested for second degree possession of marijuana, which is listed as a Class A misdemeanor in the state of Alabama. It carries a sentence of not more than a year in jail, as well as up to a $6,000 fine.

The arrest took place in the 100 block of E. Samford Ave., according to Auburn police department Capt. Lorenza Dorsey.

"I am aware of the situation and we will handle this matter appropriately," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in a statement.

Davis was named to the SEC All-Freshman team after solidifying his spot as one of the better cornerbacks in the league last season. Cowart was the No. 1 overall recruit in the nation for the class of 2015, but had struggled in his first year with the Tigers. Dinson saw significant playing time in 2015, but he suffered season-ending injuries agains Texas A&M. Davis wasn't utilized as much his first year, but the receiver was earning the praise of teammates and coaches alike during spring practice.

The Opelika-Auburn News was the first to report the news.

Share and discuss “Four Auburn players arrested Saturday on drug charges” on social media.