Strong start from Klobosits pushes Tigers past Troy

Auburn pitcher Gabe Klobosits and the Tigers continued their strong pitching and hot hitting Tuesday at Plainsman Park with a 7-2 win over Troy. In his first start since February, Klobosits threw eight complete innings and was credited with the win. He struck out seven Trojan batters and gave up only one run on eight hits.

“Getting eight innings with two midweek games and coming off an SEC series and getting ready for another one was what the doctor ordered so to speak,” Auburn coach Butch Thompson said.

Shortstop Cody Nulph started the scoring for the Tigers with a tapper down the third base line that scored Niko Buentello. The next inning, Buentello drove home Melvin Gray with a sacrifice grounder to first.

In the fifth inning with the bases empty, Buentello hit a shot to deep center field, recording his 10th home run of the season. He continued his hot hitting from last weekend in Tuscaloosa, going 3-4 with a home run and three RBIs.

Also chiming in with a solo shot was centerfielder Anfernee Grier, who homered early in the seventh inning over the left field wall to make the score 4-1 Tigers. Later in that inning, Buentello, Burgreen and Deese all drove in runs to complete a four run seventh inning for Auburn.

“It was huge,” Buentello said of the win. “Like I’ve been saying all season long, it starts on the mound. Gabe did a really good job tonight and we played good defense behind him. He did a good job of filling up the zone and letting the defense work and it worked out again.”

With the SEC Tournament quickly approaching, coach Butch Thompson and the Tigers look to keep the momentum as they face off against Kennesaw State Wednesday at 6 p.m. before the No.3 Mississippi State Bulldogs visit the Plains this weekend. 

Share and discuss “Strong start from Klobosits pushes Tigers past Troy” on social media.