Tigers Rout LSU 7-1, Win Second Straight SEC Title

After winning three games in two days, the Auburn Tigers are the 2016 SEC Tournament Champions. Auburn defeated LSU on Saturday afternoon behind a strong pitching performance from freshman Makayla Martin. Martin threw five innings, giving up only one run on five hits and no walks.

"The credit goes to the girls; they buy in. It's a philosophy and a mindset," coach Clint Myers said. "We had a little bump and they jumped right back on board. It's a 30-person squad that really works hard and is really committed."

The scoring started early for Auburn (49-9), as Tiffany Howard and Emily Carosone drove in a combined four runs in a monster second inning for the Tigers. 

In the third inning it looked as if LSU might remain competitive in the game after Amber Serrett scored on a wild pitch in the top half of the inning. Pitcher Carley Hoover entered the game in the bottom half of the third,who had thrown great games earlier in the week for LSU. The bats of Auburn proved to be too much for Hoover and Auburn extended their lead. 

First baseman Jade Rhodes chimed in during the fifth inning with an RBI single that drove in SEC Player of the Year Kasey Cooper.

In the sixth left hander Rachael Walters entered in relief and gave up no runs through two innings.

The scoring continued for Auburn in the sixth when senior Tiffany Howard hit her first career home run to center, scoring Whitney Jordan to give Auburn a 7-1 lead.. 

"She's just had a phenomenal career. To finish it with that hit? It was way out," Myers said. "It couldn't happen to a better kid. She was getting beat inside and we said ‘Hey, just get the barrel out and go for it.’ She made great contact."

Auburn’s Kaylee Carlson, Emily Carosone, Tiffany Howard and Carlee Wallace were all named to the SEC Tournament All-Tournament Team. Carosone was also named the SEC Tournament Most Valuable Player for the second year in a row.

“The mantra (this weekend) was ‘three more days,’" Myers said. "If we can duplicate what we did last year and get three more days, we have a chance to play for national championship. We're taking it one game at a time, but it's about getting to Oklahoma City and getting to play for that. I couldn't be prouder."

Auburn could host a regional at Jane B. Moore Field in Auburn in this years’ NCAA Tournament. The tournament selection show begins Sunday  at 9 p.m. CST on ESPNU. 

Share and discuss “Tigers Rout LSU 7-1, Win Second Straight SEC Title” on social media.