SEC Commissioner Comments on Auburn to East Division Rumors

Rumors have been flying regarding a possible move of Auburn from the SEC West division to the East division. The rumored move would likely send Auburn to the East and Missouri to the West, for geographical purposes.

Gus Malzahn made a comment on the topic in April, but since then the conversation had not been brought up. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey was asked about the rumors at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Florida.

"I don't know that it was ever a live story," Sankey said. "The only time I've talked about this in Destin is here in this room. I have never once talked to our football coaches about any team moving to a different division."

If the Tigers were to switch divisions someday, then there would be a few changes involving yearly rival games across divisions. Auburn would have to change its cross-division rival from Georgia to Alabama, since the Tigers would be joining the Bulldogs in the East.

An issue arises, however, when Alabama would no longer play the Tennessee Volunteers yearly because Auburn would become the Crimson Tide’s new cross-division rival.

“We have a long history of divisions,” Sankey also said. “It’s worked incredibly well. I think they have meaning for us.”

The topic of divisional realignment will likely come up during SEC Media Days. For now, the SEC landscape remains the same.

Share and discuss “SEC Commissioner Comments on Auburn to East Division Rumors” on social media.