Auburn launches 'Know When to Go' campaign

If you've driven in Auburn over the last week, there's a very good chance you've seen posters, which read "Know When To Go", attached to the city's stop and yield signs. The signs are intended to remind drivers to properly yield.

According to a city press release, Travel With Care — a safety campaign coordinated between Auburn University, the Lee County Sheriff's Office, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Police Division — hopes to bring safety and courtesy back to Auburn's streets in this year's campaign.

The campaign will span weeks, but will focus on July 25–29. Organizers said residents can expect to see and hear educational reminders to "travel with care" on the city's streets and sidewalks.

"Know When To Go encourages Auburn residents to take responsibility for their own safety by familiarizing themselves with yielding situations, right-of-way laws and courteous yielding practices," according to the city press release. "When you fail to yield right-of-way, you take a risk that places you and other travelers in potential danger."

Know When To Go focuses on all traveling situations including driving, biking, walking and riding on public transit.

“People become repetitive in their actions as they follow the crowd and rush to and from their destinations,” said Brandy Ezelle, a City of Auburn traffic engineer. “Travel With Care researches common human errors that lead to accidents, then tries to educate the public on the correct way to handle the situation.”

You can find updates to the Travel With Care campaign on the program's new website, travelwithcareauburn.com.

In the state of Alabama, failure to yield, right-of-way errors and failure to follow signs and signals is the number one cause of all reported traffic accidents, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation. Those driving errors accounted for more than 24,000 crashes last year.

“Think about how the choices you make can impact not just you, but how they can impact others, so we can all arrive home safe,” Ezelle said

For more information about Travel With Care and #KnowWhenToGo, visit travelwithcareauburn.com and follow Travel With Care on Facebook at TravelWithCareAuburn, Twitter at TravelWCareAU and Instagram at TravelWithCareAuburn.

Share and discuss “Auburn launches 'Know When to Go' campaign” on social media.