Top three quarterbacks Auburn will face this season

1.  Deshaun Watson, Clemson: On Saturday September 3, the first weekend of the 2016 season, the Tigers will have their hands full with the Clemson signal caller, Deshaun Watson. Watson, a junior, is considered the best quarterback in the country by many, and is returning to Clemson after a record-breaking 2015 season. In 2015, Watson became the first player in FBS history to throw for over 4,000 yards, and rush for over 1,000 in the same season. The 6-foot-2 210-pound quarterback also finished third in last years Heisman Trophy voting behind Alabama’s Derrick Henry and Stanford’s Christian McCaffrey, before leading his number one ranked team to the CFP National Championship game against Alabama.  In the 45-40 championship loss to Alabama, Watson was brilliant completing 30 passes for 405 yards and rushing for 73 in the contest. The Auburn defense will face a formidable test right away in Watson.

2.     Chad Kelly, Ole Miss: Before a 4th down and 25 play in overtime kept Arkansas alive in a game the Razorbacks eventually won in Oxford, Mississippi, Ole Miss Quarterback Chad Kelly had been crucial for the Rebels, and even had them in contention to make it to Atlanta. Kelly’s 4,542 total yards ranks him at third-most in a season in SEC history. Kelly was ranked among the top 20 quarterbacks nationally last year in most categories, and is the only Ole Miss quarterback to ever lead a Rebel team to victory over Auburn, Alabama and LSU in the same season. The rising senior quarterback led the conference in average passing yards, total offense, passing touchdowns and points responsible for last season. Kelly has the opportunity to be the only quarterback in conference history to throw for 4,000 yards twice in a career. Auburn will face Kelly and the Rebels in Oxford, Mississippi on Saturday, October, 29.

3.    Brandon Harris, LSU: Although Harris only completed 53 percent of his passes last season, his dual threat ability and his experience lands him at the number three spot. Harris struggled at times in his sophomore season as the signal-caller for the Tigers, but did throw for over 2,000 yards and 13 touchdowns. Harris also threw only six interceptions in a season where he tied the LSU record for passes without a pick. While he does have room to improve, Harris’s ability to run, as well as the weapons around him, make him a force for Auburn to reckon with when LSU visits the Plains on September 24.  

Honorable mention:  Trevor Knight, Texas A&M

Trevor Knight’s lack of SEC experience does not earn him a spot on the list, but the Oklahoma transfer does have the ability to take the conference by storm, and be a pivotal player for the Aggies in their 2016 season.

Knight was the Sooner starter in 2014, and completed 56 percent of his passes for 2,300 yards, 14 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 10 games for Oklahoma. Knight also rushed for 339 yards and five scores in 2014, but lost the starting job to Sooner quarterback Baker Mayfield during last year's offseason. The 6-foot-1 quarterback only appeared in six games for Oklahoma last season, and threw two touchdowns and two interceptions. The new Aggie signal caller looks to bounce back this season, and have more performances like he did against Alabama in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. Knight and the Aggies visit Auburn on Saturday, September 13.

Share and discuss “Top three quarterbacks Auburn will face this season” on social media.