Hey, Auburn: Whatcha' listening to?

When you walk or bike the paths of Auburn University, or drive down the city streets, you see a little bit of everything. 

You see people dancing, singing and laughing. You might see the Auburn University Marching Band, practicing on the sidewalk. And, let's not forget signs for free stuff, advertisements for local clubs, organizations and businesses.

However, even more common are those one could call the "lone wolves": the individuals walking around campus or simply sitting alone with headphones on. 

Almost all of us are "lone wolves" at some point. After all, Auburn's campus is about 1,841 acres in total... Your friends, after all, usually don't have the same schedule as you and you might as well listen to something during the down time, right? 

The question, however, is what are Auburn students are actually listening to? To answer this question, The Auburn Plainsman decided to walk around campus to determine just this, and these are some of the more popular things to listen to: 

1. Popular Music 

This choice in audio comes as no surprise: top 40 are indeed "top 40" for a reason.

When asked why she listened to popular music so much, one student in the student center said, "I can usually relate to the words, but other than that, I just love music." When asked what song in particular she had been listening to, she named "Close" by Nick Jonas. 

A student walking on West Magnolia who asked to be identified as "AC" had a slightly different reason for listening to popular music, though.

"I love a sick beat," he said.

His song of choice, at the moment, was "Panda," by Desiigner. 

2. Electronic Music 

While many Billboard Top 100 songs are electronic in nature, there are some genres of electronic music that have been lacking on the chart, simply because they are not as popular or because they are mainly instrumental. One sophomore, sitting near Foy, said: "I'm having a bit of a throwback. Listening to some of Skrillex's older stuff..." 

When asked how he felt about other electronic music, such as hip-hop or rap, the student had nothing more to say than, "If it's got a beat, it's for me," a response similar to AC's comment about pop music. 

3. School Stuff / Video Streaming

If you ever go into the student center and see students on their laptops, there's a chance that they are being productive.

When asked what she was doing on her Macbook Air laptop in the 2nd floor of the student center, one junior COSAM student said, with a giggle, "Homework, and lots of it." 

This is no surprise, as all of us finalize our classes for the fall semester and the workload begins to set in, our spare time is increasingly being dedicated to school work. 

However, some students are getting their homework done elsewhere. One freshman pre-engineering student in the student center Chick-Fil-A said, boldly: "I got my work done, so I'm on Netflix till my next class starts."

Share and discuss “Hey, Auburn: Whatcha' listening to?” on social media.