John Moreland performs at Standard Deluxe in Waverly

On Tuesday, Aug. 30, acclaimed songwriter John Moreland returned to the Standard Deluxe in Waverly, Ala. 

Tuesday night's performance was Moreland’s fourth show at the Standard Deluxe, but his first since being featured on The Late Show with Steven Colbert.

Moreland was joined on Tuesday by Slow Motion Cowboys, a country band from San Francisco, for a surprise appearance.  Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster, frontman for the Mississippi band Water Liars, performed as well.

During their set, Pete Fields, lead singer for the Slow Motion Cowboys, explained their surprise performance.

“We are so happy to be here," Fields said. "We just so happened to be coming through town tonight, we didn’t know we’d be doing a show here, but Scott [Peek, Standard Deluxe Owner] was nice enough to give us the opportunity."

After a short set, Justin Kinkel Schuster took the stage.

Armed with only his electric guitar, Schuster launched into an hour long set. 

Moreland followed Schuster, beginning the show with songs from his most recent album, "High on Tulsa Heat".

During his two hour set Moreland played songs from previous albums, and several unreleased songs that may have been familiar to the audience.

“Here’s a couple of new songs, though I’ve been playing them so long you may have heard them the last time I was here,” Moreland said.

Moreland’s music has been praised by both "American Songwriter" and "Pitchfork".

Scott Peek, longtime owner of The Standard Deluxe, was glad to have Moreland play once more.

“Since he’s played here the first time he’s gotten new management, and I told them that whenever he wants to play here he can, I will never turn down an opportunity to host him,” Peek said.

Lucas Lovell, an Auburn resident and regular attendee at the Standard Deluxe, was enamored with Moreland’s performance.

“I’ve seen him every time he's played in Waverly and I will make it a point to never miss his shows because it’s some of the best music I’ve ever heard," LovelI said. "I commented earlier that I wish he was on the radio, but it was a good point that if he was on the radio he might have to change, and then I’d be really sad."

Jessye McDowell, employee in the Auburn University art department, was not as familiar with Moreland, but similarly enthralled. 

“I’d never seen him before, tonight was my first time, and I recently discovered his music," McDowell said. "It broke my heart then, and I think that it holds up and then some live. I will make it a point to never miss an opportunity to see him."

Moreland said he thoroughly enjoys performing at Standard Deluxe. 

“It’s a really beautiful and inspiring place and when you’re turning off the highway you’d never expect that this is right there, and that’s still how I feel every time I come here, I still feel a feeling like ‘No, nothing cool is here,’ and then I feel the surprise every time,” Moreland said.

Share and discuss “John Moreland performs at Standard Deluxe in Waverly ” on social media.