Volleyball sweeps Georgia to continue SEC winning streak

Auburn defeated Georgia in dominating fashion on Wednesday night, sweeping the Bulldogs in their second matchup of the season.

“This is a big win, I mean every win is big, but to me it is a matter of confidence,” said coach Rick Nold. “We’ve been going through a lot of injuries, and we’ve had some different people step in and step up. So for everyone to see that regardless of who we have out there that we are capable of being a great team, I think that is really important for our team right now.”

The Tigers defeated Georgia 3-1 in Athens on Oct. 2nd before the sweep Wednesday. This also marks the Tigers' second-straight SEC win and third out of the last four matches.

“We’ve been on a good run in the SEC, and I think it is really good for us to come out here and stay on top of the match the whole time to get us some good energy going into the game against Mississippi State,” said freshman Gwyn Jones. “Hopefully we can stay on that SEC run.”

Jones led the team in kills with 12, adding to her phenomenal freshman season in which she is second on the team in kills with 189 and hitting .600. Breanna Barksdale, Enja Bidzane, and Macy Reece each tallied seven kills.

“I came in here wanting to work really hard and earn a spot and I think I did that,” Jones said. “So for me, it is just about building on that and setting new goals each week and trying to reach them.”

Defensively, Alexa Filley lead the team with 12 digs, followed closely by Jesse Earl and Bidzane, each with 10.

The Tigers' next match is at home against Mississippi State on Sunday. The game tips off at 12 p.m.

Share and discuss “Volleyball sweeps Georgia to continue SEC winning streak” on social media.