Auburn women ranked in AP Top 25 for first time since 2009

For the first time since the 2009 SEC Championship season, the Auburn women’s basketball team is ranked in the AP top 25, coming in at No. 23 this week.

The Tigers are 6-1 on the season after a thrilling, come-from-behind 71-67 victory over Indiana Sunday that saw Auburn trailing by 17 points in the fourth quarter before outscoring the Hoosiers 32-14 in the fourth quarter.

Auburn has played five of its seven games away from home so far in 2016-17, earning road wins at North Carolina A&T and East Carolina along with neutral site victories over Ball State and Marist. The Tigers only blemish so far this year came in a four-point, neutral-site loss to then-No. 19 West Virginia, who moved up to No. 16 this week.

It’s the first ranking for Auburn women’s basketball since the final poll of the 2008-09 season when the Tigers were ranked No. 9. That year, Auburn won its fifth SEC title and was a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, advancing to the second round. 

Auburn is one of seven SEC teams ranked in the top 25.

Defending SEC Champion South Carolina is ranked No. 3, followed by Mississippi State at No. 6. Kentucky and Florida are ranked No. 17 and No. 19, respectively, followed by Tennessee at No. 22 and Texas A&M at No. 25.

Auburn continues a stretch of three straight games against Power Five non-conference opponents Thursday night when the Tigers travel to Kansas State for a 7:30 p.m. tip as part of the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. The Wildcats are 6-0 this season including victories over North Carolina State and LSU.

Share and discuss “Auburn women ranked in AP Top 25 for first time since 2009” on social media.