Report Card: Auburn vs USC Upstate

Auburn struggled defensively but earned their fifth win of the season by defeating USC Upstate 90-83 on Tuesday night in Auburn Arena.

Here are the final grades for the Tigers performance:

GUARDS: B-

Auburns perimeter players did not connect early offensively.

The Tigers looked sporadic early and every player wanted to catch and shoot very early in the shot clock. Bryce Brown looked very uncomfortable on the court, shooting a dismal 1-7 from 3. Brown finished the game shooting 3-12 from the field and finished with 7 points.

Jared Harper also struggled shooting the ball. Harper was able to get into the paint and finish several contested layups. Harper finished the game with a solid line: 10 points, 2 steals, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds. The leading scorer of the game was Mustapha Heron, he had 23 points on 7-12 shooting. Heron got into the paint every time he wanted too and had no problem with contact. Heron finished the game a perfect 7-7 from the free throw line. Heron used his sheer athleticism to blow by defenders, he also used his next level bounce to reel in 6 rebounds. Heron was the leading rebounder for Auburn.

Defensively Auburn did not look great, giving up 51 points in the second half. Mike Cunningham of USC Upstate was able to torch the Auburn guards, pouring in 20 points. In the end Heron’s ability was able to keep Auburn afloat the whole game and Auburn never trailed.

BIG MEN: C+

The Auburn big men were tasked with a problem similar to what they faced against Purdue. This problem is size. The 7-foot, 285-pound Buchanan was a burden to deal with down low.

Horace Spencer was the first player asked to defend Buchanan. Spencer had trouble when Buchanan would back him down, Spencer recorded several personal fouls early then LaRon Smith was checked into game. Smith had a career night offensively finishing the game with 15 points. Smith only finished the game with 5 rebounds and also had 5 fouls.

This was a tale of the tape for Auburn, as the Tigers were out rebounded 52-41. Buchanan finished the game with 20 points and 15 rebounds. Forward Danjel Purifoy finished the game with a below average 6 points, however Purifoy was able to channel the offense thru himself. Purifoy showed a new dynamic passing ability and dished out 9 assists. Bruce Pearl on was very high on Purifoy after the game, “his ability is incredible.”

FINAL VERDICT:

Auburn struggled defensively the whole game giving up 83 points to USC Upstate. Offensively Auburn was able to score, however the lack of flow to the game almost cost the Tigers. Auburn needs to concentrate o locking down the post moving forward. The Tigers also need to make sure they keep the one-two punch of Heron and Purifoy going. Auburn will be traveling to Birmingham to take on UAB Saturday.

Share and discuss “Report Card: Auburn vs USC Upstate” on social media.