Report Card: Men's Basketball vs Oklahoma

Here's how Auburn finished in their win over Oklahoma on Wednesday night:

Guards: B

The Auburn backcourt played well throughout the game. The Tigers had 23 turnovers and only 10 assists as a team. Jared Harper led the way with 21 points, a season high for him. Harper was an excellent 11-12 from the free throw line. Harper did an extremely good job of getting his 5-foot-11 frame up to the basket, then drawing the foul. He continues to be a pest for opponents on the wings. Harper used his sneaky speed to grab two steals on the outside. 

Mustapha Heron was the only other starter to score in double digits. Heron finished the game with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Heron continues to flash his next level athleticism, and his deadeye ability by knocking down two three pointers. Heron did finish the game with seven turnovers, first time Heron has been that sloppy with the ball. TJ Dunans provided a huge spark plug off of the bench. Dunans finished the game with 21 points, five assists and four rebounds. Dunans veteran leadership and stuffed stat sheet is what helped the Tigers earn the W. 

Big Men: C+

The Tigers frontcourt finally won a rebounding battle, this time against one of the biggest lineups they have faced all year. A big reason for this would be Tigers new freshman center: Austin Wiley.

Wiley finished the game with only 6 points and 3 rebounds in his first start. Wiley also sent two shots away in the paint. While Wiley’s 3 rebounds may not stand out on paper, his almost seven foot 270-pound frame stands out in the game. It gained the attention of the Oklahoma players, forcing them to always box out Wiley regardless of the other potential crashing Tigers. This was a key factor for Heron’s 12 rebounds. Wiley will continue to help the Tigers in ways like this, not always with his numbers but sheer size that is hard to game plan against. Danjel Purifoy had a quiet game due to some foul trouble. Purifoy finished the game with 6 points, 7 rebounds and 3 turnovers. Purifoy’s hot streak from three continues, his only points came from two three pointers. Purifoy will look to get more involved in the offense and stay out of foul trouble next game.

Final Verdict: Auburn looked sloppy but competitive against a tournament team a year ago. The freshman continue to mesh without Bryce Brown and Horace Spencer. Auburn will look to wrap up non-conference play against UConn on Friday and improve to 10-2 before SEC play begins next Thursday.

Share and discuss “Report Card: Men's Basketball vs Oklahoma” on social media.