Auburn's 95 points not enough to hold off Gators

It has been an up and down season for Auburn men’s basketball.. On Tuesday, the downward spiral continued as the nationally ranked Florida Gators downed Auburn 114-95.

“It’s difficult when you’re constantly taking the ball out of the net, getting beat backdoor,” Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. “We looked at times very helpless out there defensively.”

The offensive production did not lack for the Tigers, as six players were in double figures. Auburn also scored 15 points more than their season average of 80 points per contest.

Freshman Danjel Purifoy got things started for the Tigers, hitting a plus one three-pointer for the first points of the game. Anfernee McLemore lead the way for Auburn with a career high 19 points and 6 rebounds, followed by T.J. Dunans who added 13 points and 5 rebounds.

Things were looking good for Auburn in the first half, and the Tigers lead by eight at one point while knocking down shots from behind the arc. Things were knotted at 50 when Auburn headed to the lockeroom, and it seemed as if Auburn had the No. 17 Gators right where they wanted them.

Then the second half began.

Florida came out of the half and scored three quick buckets, stetched their lead to 10 with 16:20 remaining, and never looked back.

“I’m not sure if it’s because we’re young or what,” McLemore said. “I feel like we’re a good defensive team with he way we play in the first half but we have to find something to translate to the second half.”

Mike White’s squad was lead by Canyon Barry, who scored a game high 30 points, and Allen KeVaughn. The Gators made contested shots, and made plenty of them. Despite being out-rebounded and losing the turnover battle, Florida would score a season high 114 points, handing Auburn their 10th loss of the season, and worst loss in 23 years.

“Could there be an adjustment with personnel in the second half? It’s possible, but if I thought it was just personnel I would have made those changes beforehand,” Pearl said.

Auburn won the turnover battle, out rebounded the Gators and had 16 more points in the paint, but nothing would give. Auburn fell to 16-10 (5-8), while Florida improved to 21-5 (11-2).

Auburn returns to action on Saturday and will travel to Texas to face the Aggies from Texas A&M. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. CST, and can be seen on ESPNU.

Share and discuss “Auburn's 95 points not enough to hold off Gators” on social media.