Emily Spain takes leave of absence from softball program

After not appearing in a game since March 26 at Florida, Auburn infielder Emily Spain has taken a leave of absence from the program, head coach Clint Myers announced Thursday afternoon.

“She has taken a leave of absence, and she’ll be not with us until the end of the year,” Myers said.

Spain appeared in 13 games for Auburn this season, starting six games. She hit .071 (1-for-14) with four walks and six runs scored. She was perfect in the field, committing zero errors in her 21 chances.

Myers said Spain’s departure was not related to the resignation of former associate head coach Corey Myers on March 30.

“She’s taking a leave of absence,” Myers said. “She’s been seeing a doctor. It’s just the way it is. She needed some time, so she’s got it.”

Since her removal from the starting lineup in mid-February, Myers has used both sophomore Casey McCrackin and freshman KK Crocker at second base. Crocker has started the last two games for Auburn.

Along with McCrackin and Crocker, Myers said junior infielder Whitney Jordan has taken reps at second base to provide extra depth.

“It just means that somebody else is going to have to pick up the load,” Myers said. “Life goes on. That’s the great thing about sports. No one person is bigger than the program.”

No. 7 Auburn returns to action Friday night at Jane B. Moore Field as the Tigers host Missouri. First pitch Friday is set for 6 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Emily Spain takes leave of absence from softball program” on social media.