LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Let other voices be heard

Far-left democrats have recently been concerned with shutting down hate speech. 

Hate speech could be anything from racism to transphobia. 

I do not believe in hate. Hate clouds judgement, it looms over people and consumes them. However, we cannot allow government to dictate what is legal and illegal to say. 

So I say to everyone, let the gays be gay, let the racists be racist, and let those who drown in their own shallow thoughts judge you based on a stereotype. We cannot change the hearts of others through the law, only by the kindness of our own actions. 

Banning hate speech by law is taking the easy way out because it either shuts down the opposition or forces them into the shadows. Facing people we don’t agree with and then discussing ideas is the only way to arrive at truth. People, me included, have the tendency to entirely dismiss anyone we disagree with rather than look for any truth in their argument because an outright dismissal is so much easier for our pride to accept. 

When in all actuality, they’ve been shaped by their life experiences same as you. If humans weren’t shaped by their experiences and subconsciously able to recognize patterns in the environment around us, we would’ve died out thousands of years ago. 

We must not fault people for their beliefs and we do not have to accept other people’s beliefs as our own, but we must let their voices be heard, America. 

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Let other voices be heard” on social media.