COLUMN: Cheat sheet for parking in Auburn

Auburn University is known for its traditions, football and never being able to find a place to park without getting a ticket or getting towed. 

Every once in a while students, faculty and campus visitors find ways to cheat the system and avoid getting ticketed by the infamous Parking Services.

Campus students advise drivers to attempt tactics such as turning on your flashers, backing into parking spaces and placing past parking tickets on the windshield to avoid future tickets. 

There are places around campus that you can park and avoid being towed. Some of these places include parking downtown along College Street (as long as you have quarters on hand), parking at The Auburn Bank and the parking deck behind Toomer’s is open to the public on weekends for easy access to downtown.

For students that frequent RBD, parking in the parking deck has become an art form. It is common knowledge that students can park in the deck starting at 5 p.m. on weekdays. At 4:50 pm every day there are a few brave souls who park and wait until 5 p.m. to ensure they can park ticket-free for a night of studying.

Visiting friends and family can park ticket and tow-free at Walmart on South College Street or anywhere in Tiger Town. These locations are popular during the busy football season. 

With the overwhelming amount of parking available during the school year, it is easy to find an available spot on campus. The spot may not be as close to your destination as you would like, but that's why they allow bikes on campus. 

Bikes are the ultimate cheat to the system as far as parking goes. If you live close to campus, you can ride your bike to the front door of your class building. 

Parking in Auburn is a hassle whether downtown or on-campus, but if you use your resources and follow the rules then it can be a painless experience. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Cheat sheet for parking in Auburn” on social media.