Barks and Brews raises awareness for unadopted pets

<p>A dog plays with guests at Barks and Brews on July 8, 2017, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

A dog plays with guests at Barks and Brews on July 8, 2017, in Auburn, Ala.

Barks and Brew’s adoption event invited guests to meet their new best friend while enjoying a cold one. 

The Lee County Humane Society joined Red Clay Brewing Company from 3-5 p.m. where they brought kittens and dogs patrons could pet while sampling local beer.

Rachel Barns, programs assistant at the Lee Country Humane Society, was more than happy with the turnout. 

“The owners of Red Clay just love animals, and they wanted to help us out any way they could,” said Barnes. “They approached us, and we’ve had a couple of adoption events throughout the summer already. This event is really just about advertising for the animals that need to be adopted.”

The Humane Society brought along with them four kittens and three dogs, but there are over 300 animals in the system that are in foster and not ready for adoption, Barnes said. 

“This event is great for people to come out to and see the animals, and for us to raise awareness about them,” said Barnes. “A lot of people can’t go to the shelter often, so this is our way of bringing this need to them.”   

Sydney Johnson, student volunteer for the Humane Society, held one of the kittens as she explained the adoption process to a few of the guests. 

“We’re having a special adoption here where the kittens are $40, and the pit bulls over the age of six months are $60,” Johnson said. “It’s a nice little saving opportunity for the people who come out and are interested in adopting.”

The atmosphere was lively as guests enjoyed their drinks and petted the dogs as they passed by. Those interested more in the animals up for adoption were given more information by the volunteers from the Humane Society as they showed the dogs around. Outside of the brewery, a few guests even enjoyed a game of cornhole. 

Red Clay also offered a “Yappy Hour” from 3-4.p.m. where they donated $1 from every pint poured to the Humane Society’s Summer of Second Chances campaign.

“We want to make sure we help out the community,” said Kerry McGinnis, founder and owner of Red Clay Brewing Company. “Helping the Humane Society is sort of a win-win for everybody. We’ve done past events like our Beer Runs that have also benefitted them. We’ve actually been working with the Humane Society shortly after we opened.”

The Lee County Humane Society and Red Clay Brewing Company will team up again on July 22 and August 5 for another adoption event. 

Share and discuss “Barks and Brews raises awareness for unadopted pets ” on social media.