COLUMN: Taking advantage of Welcome Week

As students return and begin to fill the Plains once again, Welcome Week is not far ahead.

Beginning Aug. 17 and lasting until Aug. 25, the annual week-long event returns to welcome students to the University. Whether a returning senior or a freshman stepping on campus for the first time as a student, Welcome Week is an event-packed nine days that introduces students to organizations and provides opportunities to collect free stuff.

In order to keep a level-head and still maximize all the week has to offer, here are five tips for how students can take full advantage of the week and get the most out of their university.

1. Download the Auburn Guides app. The app provides students with official information about various organizations and departments on campus with access to updates, maps for navigation and integration with different social media platforms.

2. Go to any event with free food. Whether you are living on campus or not, there is never enough money on your TigerCard. Welcome Week events often offers free food including cook outs, Chick-fil-a, snacks and candy. Make it a goal to try to eat a free meal every day of Welcome Week — this is a good way to conserve money while you can.

3. Collect as many adhesive card holders as possible. These silicon stickers get placed on the back of your phone or phone case, and are able to hold your Tiger Card, credit card, license, etc. Stocking up is a good idea because the material can rip over time, so having replacements is a safe bet.

4. Get out and socialize. Welcome Week activities can range in a variety of interests, some may intrigue you from the start and others may not strike a chord.

However, Welcome Week is a great time to meet others outside of your classes, Greek organization, hobbies, etc. Don’t allow yourself to be kept up inside for this week.

5. Embrace your pride. Whether it is taking a selfie with Aubie or making the trip out to one of the events on Samford lawn, accept the Auburn Family as your own.

Get to know those around you and the campus you will call home for the next couple months to truly discover what the buzz is about.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Taking advantage of Welcome Week” on social media.