Auburn hires two-time national championship winner as new softball coach

false

(File photo)
(File photo)

Former Arizona State softball coach Clint Myers has agreed to become the Auburn Tigers' new coach, Athletics Director Jay Jacobs announced Friday, June 14.

Myers led the Sun Devils to NCAA Championships in 2008 and 2011, and took the team to the Women's College World Series seven times in eight years.

“I am very excited to begin what I expect to be a challenging, rewarding and fulfilling life change with my move to become the head softball coach at Auburn University,” Myers said. “This opportunity to coach with my family and to become part of what I feel is a total community family in the town of Auburn was one I absolutely could not pass up. Thank you for giving my family and me this 'Alabama Adventure.' We hope you will enjoy the ride with us for years to come.”

While he was the coach at Arizona State, Myers averaged 53 wins a season.

Jacobs set out to find a quality coach with winning capabilities, and he believes that is exactly what he and the athletics department had done by hiring Myers.

“When we began our search for a new softball coach, the goal was to find a proven winner who could help us compete for championships,” Jacobs said. “We could not have found a coach who better fits that criteria than Clint Myers, who has consistently reached the pinnacle of success in college softball. Anytime you can hire a coach who has won two National Championships and been to the Women's College World Series seven out of eight years, it's obviously a huge win for your program.

“No less important is the fact that Coach Myers' student athletes have also been consistent winners in the classroom. I am delighted to welcome Coach Myers and his wife, Katie, to the Auburn family. One of the things I learned about Coach Myers during this process is how important family is to him. That will make him a great fit at Auburn.”

Share and discuss “Auburn hires two-time national championship winner as new softball coach” on social media.