Drunk on Auburn football: Twitter celeb shares about rise to Auburn Family fame

With a glass of whiskey in one paw and a phone in the other, Drunk Aubie has become an icon for making Auburn fans laugh when the football season is no laughing matter.

Drunk Aubie runs a parody account and spits jokes after one too many drinks when the team does one too little on the field. In 2012, the Tigers suffered their worst season in 60 years, going 3-9 overall and 0-8 SEC.

Drunk Aubie, not driven to the bottle just yet, left the season with his tail between his legs. He felt the pain of his fellow fans and knew there must be something done. Humor and whiskey straight had to take over for sanity’s sake.

“It was a way to escape from how bad we were and laugh at ourselves,” Drunk Aubie said. “We were laughing at how bad we were.”

The team failed so hard, Drunk Aubie said he had no choice but to head to the liquor cabinet. Drunk Aubie said he had seen other accounts, but he was surprised how it took off. Once the team went on the “magical run of 2013,” tweets came easier and the traction followed suit.

Drunk Aubie asked to remain anonymous for the sake of the character and the personality that goes with it.

As for coming up with content, Drunk Aubie said, “If you got it, you just got it.” In his experience, he’s found that the longer he sits on a joke, thinking about the likes or retweets it might get, the worst it ends up being.

Drunk Aubie said when in doubt, flipping whatever conversation is being held into “Bammer hate” will always win favoritism.

“Anything anti-Alabama or Georgia or even Arkansas does well,” Drunk Aubie said. “If you connect two completely different topics — one thing that’s blowing up with another thing that’s blowing up — it usually does really well.”

Drunk Aubie attended Auburn and graduated in 2015. He has settled down in his large kitty litter box, or Birmingham, as some call it. It’s a nice getaway, but Drunk Aubie’s heart and drinking tendencies never leave The Plains.

Drunk Aubie said he is surprised that he’s never gotten a call from the Auburn administration for his jokes.

“Considering how protective they are over [sober] Aubie, I’m surprised I’ve never been contacted,” Drunk Aubie said.

The University’s Aubie, or Sober Aubie, and Drunk Aubie have had some interaction on Twitter and the University’s main account follows him: a compliment, Drunk Aubie said. Kerryon Johnson, Deshawn Davis and Daniel Carlson are some of Drunk Aubie’s favorite players to mess with and converse with online.

He said Carlson doesn’t interact as much.

“I’ve been trying to get [Carlson] out of his shell recently,” Drunk Aubie said.

Drunk Aubie spends his days writing about sports, coincidentally. He has been following the recent news concerning the Auburn softball incident and the arrest of former Auburn basketball Assistant Coach Chuck Person.

“On a serious note, it’s been disappointing,” Drunk Aubie said. “Personally, the two best times for Twitter are when really good things are happening or really bad things are happening.”

He said business is booming but not for the right reasons. Drunk Aubie said he hopes Auburn doesn’t get rid of Bruce Pearl as he is the best thing that has ever happened to Auburn basketball.

On Sept. 27, @Lill_Wane tweeted to Drunk Aubie nominating him for athletics director, Jay Jacobs’ current position There has been much conversation about Jacobs’ role in the department.

Drunk Aubie said in his humble, furry opinion, Jacobs has been followed by controversies at every turn.

“I think it’s about to hit the reset button on this fence,” Drunk Aubie said. “I don’t think he’s done a terrible job, but there have been a lot of controversies, and these big things have come out lately. It would just be easier to have a restart.”

He said the current athletic teams give him enough humorous content to work with, and he doesn’t want anything else making Auburn a laughing stock. He said it’s like a sibling situation.

“It’s okay for me to make fun of them, but it’s not okay for anyone else to make fun of them,” Drunk Aubie said.

Drunk Aubie laughed at the idea of having fans and said he always tries to interact with those that respond to his initial posts. But, staying Drunk Aubie, rather than a man behind the mask — which he is not, he’s really a drunk Tiger — is crucial to the account and his personality.

“If you were to know who we are, you would find it hard to actually picture Aubie sitting there drinking and tweeting drunk,” Drunk Aubie said.

He said with division being so prominent, people find it easier to rally behind a Tiger rather than a grown man ranting about Auburn football, which is exactly what Drunk Aubie is not. Stated clearly again, he is a tipsy Tiger on his way to liver problems.

Drunk Aubie said he tries to stay uncontroversial as often as possible to provide a place for laughter and light-hearted jokes about a notoriously unpredictable team. He said he does wonder if one day he will say something a little too far over the line and it will be known as “The End of Drunk Aubie.”

For those looking out for Drunk Aubie, he said his favorite bar is 17-16 and he’ll be drinking straight whiskey. Even if you catch him, you probably won’t know you did.

The Auburn Family may never know who Drunk Aubie is.

“...And let’s keep it that way,” he said.

Share and discuss “Drunk on Auburn football: Twitter celeb shares about rise to Auburn Family fame” on social media.