Fall Fabrics: The Functionality of Flannel

It's that time of year again: the leaves are changing, the days get shorter and the flannels make their seasonal debut.

This familiar fabric is not only warm, but it provides options. But doesn't it look the same on everyone? Not necessarily.

Fall in Alabama is a rather interesting time, as the weather never really can make up its mind. In October and November, students trek to class bundled-up in sweaters and long sleeves, with warm coffee in hand, but when temperatures rise relentlessly in the afternoon, they all look to shed that extra layer. Having a trusty flannel shirt as part of one's wardrobe is the perfect way to do that.

Every college student is familiar with the transitional flannel fabric from performing the function of a sweater to performing the function of a belt. It can be left unbuttoned over a tee shirt to provide a casual, cozy look, and then when the air warms up, it can be tied around the waist. Pairing it with a tee and then tying it, later on, may seem like the simplest and only option, but there are actually several ways to style these comfy fabrics throughout the fall and winter seasons. This is a short guide to keeping the flannel look both stylish and inspired.

They see me rollin’

Rolling is not just reserved for Toomer's Corner on Saturday evenings. Rolling the sleeves on a flannel can give it a fresh and fitted look, which is helpful when pairing it with skinny jeans or other custom pants. Rolling the sleeves an appropriate length leaves room for bracelets, shows off watches, and it gives rings center-stage.

Pattern placement

Looking to make a statement? Try mixing a patterned top with a contrasting color flannel. This can easily be done by either tying the flannel around the waist, leaving it unbuttoned, or buttoning it halfway up, so as to put more emphasis on the flannel, but also provide a sneak-peek of the fabric underneath.

Invest in vests

Those cute down vests that tend to only make appearances when the state of Alabama really tries its best to get chilly are perfect for layering over a flannel. This outfit often leaves room for a stylish long necklace or some cute bracelets, if the sleeves are rolled to an appropriate length.

Head games

If the fall breezes or winter winds become too much for your hair to handle, there's an easy remedy. Old flannel shirts can be cut into strips longways and braided to form soft headbands. These are not only cute but extremely easy to create.

Sweater weather

In late November and early December when temperatures drop low enough to prompt a few shivers and several cups of hot cocoa, flannels look great peeking out from underneath the collar or sleeves of a sweater.

VIP Access — orize.

Paying attention to detail can be of the most important parts of cultivating any wardrobe. The right accessories can turn an “I just woke up 10 minutes ago and grabbed this because I thought it would be cold today,” oversized flannel shirt into the canvas on which you can layer jewelry or other things. 

Pairing a flannel with an old ball cap can give the whole outfit an adventurous and outdoorsy look while pairing it with a Kate Spade handbag and classic stone rings can give off a more high-class vibe.

Fa-la-la flannel.

There are numerous other ways to incorporate those fall patterns into any outfit, without having to own any flannel shirt! There are jeans that feature flannel patches on them, booties that have patterns peeping out the top of them, and jackets that come with flannel fabric sewn-in.

Not a fan of wearing flannel? That’s fine too — old shirts can be cut and used to craft several fall projects, such as wreaths, simple shoulder bags, or beanbag covers for those festive and competitive, family games of corn hole.

These shirts can be found for relatively cheap at essentially any market or thrift store in the area. So, grab some friends, go thrifting and create a new combination, at least while it’s cool — who knows what the weather will do in an hour. 

Share and discuss “Fall Fabrics: The Functionality of Flannel ” on social media.