Eighth annual Oktoberfest to be held this Saturday

Beer, live music and football will be available to ticket holders of the eighth annual Oktoberfest at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center this Saturday from 4-9 p.m.

Over 900 tickets have been sold for the event since they were made available in August, while over 50 local and international brewers have been booked to serve drinks in and around the hotel’s marquee.

Allison Duke, the hotel’s marketing and social media manager, said their Oktoberfest celebration began as a smaller and more intimate event around the hotel’s pool, but as time went on more and more brewers and community members wanted to join.

“We do have people that come from out of town for it, but mostly it just allows the community to come together,” Duke said. “Places like Birmingham and other big cities, Atlanta especially, have festivals quite often, and Auburn doesn’t have many of those throughout the year, so it’s a fun thing to add to an away-game football weekend.”

The Homebrew Alley competition will feature 14 local brewers this year, with the best homemade beer being decided by guests. The winner of the competition will have his or her beer served on tap throughout the fall at A·T and Piccolo in the hotel.

German food like bratwurst and pretzels made by the hotel’s restaurant will be available to purchase separately at the event.

The event will also include a competition for the best Oktoberfest outfit, live music from local band Kidd Blue and televisions playing the Auburn vs. Arkansas game both inside and outside the marquee.

“Even if you don’t enjoy beer or aren’t a beer connoisseur, you can still have a good time,” Duke said. “There’s the entertainment aspect and there’s a chance to try a wide variety of things you’ve never tried before … It’s fun to just come and enjoy the atmosphere and everything that is Oktoberfest. It’s the closest thing you’ll get without going to the actual Oktoberfest in Germany.”

The last day to purchase an Oktoberfest ticket is tomorrow, Oct. 19.

Share and discuss “Eighth annual Oktoberfest to be held this Saturday” on social media.