Tips from Auburn Rec: How to create your own workout

With amenities like the climbing wall, a huge track and multiple levels of workout machines, the Auburn University Recreation and Wellness Center  is the place to be for fitness. The Rec also offers personal training and group classes for those looking to get even more from their experience. 

With access to the Rec being free to all students with a tiger card, it’s no wonder that you can find a vast amount of people there any given night. The Rec offers group classes such as Zumba, yoga and kettlebell, so there is a class for a variety of interests. These classes tend to fill up quickly, so veteran class attendees will tell you that planning your class schedules early is key.

Finding a workout regime that fits into an average, bustling day is something many students struggle with. However, by utilizing practices taught at the Rec, students can bring a bit of what they learn from trainers or instructors into their personal lives. 

According to sophomore Kolby Miller, accountability is one of the main things that motivates him to succeed at his fitness routine. 

“When I go to the Rec, I work out with my friends," he said. "They push me to go with them on days when I’m feeling lazy or tired. It wasn’t until the past few months that I really started to enjoy working out, and now I feel like it’s a crucial part of my everyday life.” 

Miller said that he feels the most successful when his roommates work out in their apartment complex’s gym together on nights when they can’t make it to campus.

Another student, Emmalee Volkman said she applies what she learns in group classes to her own personal regime. 

“I’m a big fan of yoga classes.,” Volkman said. “I love the relaxation aspect of it and how it can be done any time of the day to improve your energy. I like to re-create the class structure when I practice yoga alone. It helps me to feel like I’m organizing my time, plus I get to practice before the next class to improve my balance and flexibility.”

The Rec offers many ways for students to create their own schedules to remain active and interested when they can’t make it to the facility. By incorporating what is learned in classes and being encouraged by peers, these students found a way to stay interested in their personal wellness.

Share and discuss “Tips from Auburn Rec: How to create your own workout ” on social media.