Football Roundup: Injuries loom large as Tigers prepare for Georgia rematch

Following a heartbreaking loss to LSU on October 14, Gus Malzahn and the Tigers knew they had to win five straight games to win the SEC West. Auburn completed that goal with a convincing 26-14 win over Alabama on Saturday, setting up a rematch with Georgia in the SEC Championship game.

The Tigers dominated time of possession—holding the ball for 36 minutes to Alabama’s 23— and outgained the Crimson Tide 408-314. Kevin Steele’s defense was dominant on third down as Jalen Hurts and company did not convert on third down until the fourth quarter and were just 3-11 overall.

The Rematch

Auburn has little time to celebrate as they now prepare to face Georgia at Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta on Saturday. The Bulldogs responded well after they were dominated by Auburn three weeks ago, outscoring Kentucky and Georgia Tech by a combined 82-20.

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm played his worst game of the season against the Tigers. After going 3-3 for 56 yards on the opening drive, Fromm went just 10-25 for 128 yards the rest of the game.

Stopping the run and forcing Fromm to throw will once again be key for the Auburn defense. So far this season, the more Fromm has thrown the football, the more the Bulldogs have struggled on offense.

The Bulldogs will look to play more disciplined football after committing seven penalties for 75 yards in the first meeting, and the neutral site could favor Georgia after the crowd had a big impact on Auburn’s two straight upsets of top-ranked teams.

Injury Update

Kerryon Johnson ranks second in the SEC in both rushing yards and touchdowns and has been held under 100 yards in a game just twice this season. So it was for good reason that the fans in Jordan-Hare Stadium collectively held their breath when Johnson went down with a shoulder injury in the fourth quarter against Alabama.

Johnson is currently listed as questionable for Saturday’s game is day-to-day. Johnson noted that everyone is banged up this time of year, and that he expects to play Saturday.

“I’m working this week, getting back to as healthy as I can obviously,” Johnson said. “We’ve been working for this game for a long time. I’m doing everything I can to get back out there on the field.

With Kamryn Pettway officially ruled out, Kam Martin would presumably get most of the carries if Johnson is unable to play.

New offensive wrinkle

Facing a critical 3rd and 2 at the Alabama three-yard line in the first quarter, Auburn lined up in the wildcat formation, with running back Kerryon Johnson in the backfield. Usually when the Tigers run this formation near the goal line, it results in a Johnson run up the middle. But this time, Johnson shocked the Alabama defense, throwing a perfect jump pass to Nate Craig-Myers for a touchdown.

The play capped off a 12-play, 95-yard drive and gave Auburn a 7-0 lead.

“It’s something that [offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey] has been saving,” Malzahn said. “It was the perfect time to call it.”

Auburn passed from the wildcat formation again early in the fourth quarter. Johnson lined up in the backfield, this time handing it off to Ryan Davis as the play looked like a jet sweep. But Davis then flipped it to Jarrett Stidham, who had made his way into the backfield, and continued down the sideline. With the defense fooled, Stidham found Davis wide open for a 25-yard gain.

Chip Lindsey’s different formations included lining up 312-pound tackle Austin Golson as the slot receiver on a two-point conversion play. Golson claimed to be wide open, but Stidham said he wasn’t sure Golson would have caught it if the pass came his way.

Davis emerging

Ryan Davis had been slowly becoming one of Jarrett Stidham’s favorite targets as the season progressed. But the St. Petersburg, Florida native officially burst onto the scene Saturday with the best game of his career against Alabama.

Davis could not be covered Saturday—not even by Crimson Tide shutdown corner Minkah Fitzpatrick—on his way to a 11 reception, 139-yard performance.

Davis was particularly effective on third down, as his 5’9” frame continued to find holes in the Alabama defense. Four of Davis’ 11 receptions against the Crimson Tide came on third down.

“Ryan is playing with a lot of confidence right now, and Ryan has been a talented young man for a while,” Malzahn said. “But he’s to a point now he wants the ball, and he’s desperate to get open. I know Jarrett has a comfort with him. He did a great job Saturday. He’s played well really all year.”

Stidham improving

Jarrett Stidham has come a long way. The quarterback played for the first time in two years in the season opener against Georgia Southern and struggled as he took 11 sacks in Auburn’s loss to Clemson.

Stidham has consistently improved since that Clemson game, culminating in great performances in Auburn upsets over Alabama and Georgia. Stidham was 16-23 for 214 yards against the Bulldogs and followed that by outplaying Jalen Hurts and going 21-28 for 237 yards against the Crimson Tide.

While Stidham is proud of his improvement as a passer, his focus remains on the task at hand and the rematch with Georgia.

“I mean, at the end of the day, regardless of what happened three weeks ago, that’s three weeks ago,” Stidham said Monday. “It’s in the past. We’re both in the SEC Championship for a reason, and we know we’re going to have to bring our “A” game because Georgia’s going to bring their “A” game. That’s really what it comes down to.”

Share and discuss “Football Roundup: Injuries loom large as Tigers prepare for Georgia rematch” on social media.