Plainsman's Choice for Female Athlete of the Year: Victoria Draper

She’s probably quicker than me. She’s most likely quicker than you. She is definitely quicker than opposing catchers. 

Auburn’s lead-off hitter Victoria Draper is one of the best in the country at stealing bases, and the worst nightmare for SEC defenses.

Draper is stealing the show in the world of college softball, and she is our Plainsman Choice for Female Athlete of the Year.

From first to second and second to third, Draper has stolen the base 37 times this season, setting an Auburn single-season record, and it doesn’t seem like she’s slowing down any time soon.

The Lawrence County product was recruited as a speedy hitter out of high school and redshirted her first year. Draper was utilized as a pinch runner early on into her Auburn career but started to build a solid resume as a dual offensive and defensive player.

Draper has now established herself as a crucial player and leader in her senior year.

Draper always had utilized her speed, stealing five, four, and nine bases in her last three seasons. She entered her senior year with a total of 18 stolen bases.

However, new head coach Mickey Dean had bigger plans for Draper and her ability to move around the bases, and the results were far more than what the both of them had expected.

Draper now has more than double the number of stolen bases than her prior three years combined. With complete freedom to steal, Draper can always be seen getting into her running stance whenever she gets on base. 

Many catchers across the country and SEC have tried, but most of them have failed to react to Draper’s explosiveness.

Behind Draper, Auburn softball is now ranked No. 10 in the country, sitting at a 36-10 overall record. The Tigers are 9-8 in conference play and 27-2 at home.

The Tigers are looking to have another deep run in the College World Series this season, and Draper’s speed looks to be a key component for their ability to do so.

Honorable mentions:

- Kaylee Carlson (Softball)

- Janiah McKay (Women's basketball)

- Alizee Michaud (Tennis)

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice for Female Athlete of the Year: Victoria Draper” on social media.