Local nonprofit works to create environmental change

Citizens Climate Lobby, a nonprofit, nonpartisan conservation group with over 400 active chapters across the United States, has found its way to the Auburn and Opelika area.

According to the group, the main goal is to lobby the federal government to pass a carbon fee and dividend bill. According to citizensclimatelobby.org, this bill proposes placing an annually rising fee on carbon; a fee which, in return, would be returned to households as a monthly dividend.

“We’re not a typical ‘environmental group,’” said Josh Poole, member. “We do care about typical things to help the environment, but the mission is not going out and doing river cleanups or picking up litter. We believe if we want to have a real impact, it’s going to have to come from the top, which means passing actual legislation.”

The group has been met with opposition since getting its start in Auburn. 

“When you mention [climate change], people are either very receptive or they close off immediately,” Poole said. “We’ve moved past trying to convince the skeptics that it’s a real problem. It is real, and it is happening and our main focus is what we can do about it.”

Although CCL hasn’t yet managed to bring the bill to fruition, the group said it has made great strides with local government officials. It has started a direct line of communication with the offices of Mike Rogers and Mallory Hagan, both of whom are running for a seat in the House of Representatives for Alabama’s 3rd Congressional District.

Poole also believes Auburn is primed and poised to be an innovator of the region, to grow and prosper while also reducing its impact on the environment. 

“The beautiful thing about it is that we’re helping the future, but we’re also creating a long-term sustainable economic environment,” he said.

Citizens Climate Lobby meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month at the Harris Center in Auburn. Meetings are free and open to the public.

Share and discuss “Local nonprofit works to create environmental change ” on social media.