Student organization looking to destigmatize politics

“A lot of the faculty have very strong views one way or the other,” Bobrowski said. “This just seemed to be something I could really help them with without putting bias into it.”

Members of No Labels from campuses across the nation gather for the Problem Solver Convention in 2015

No Labels is a campus political group dedicated to the idea that positive change is best achieved when people from opposing ideologies work together. No Labels welcomes those from any political affiliation or ideology to discuss current issues.

“Instead of having different parties of Republican, Democrat, Independent, and all that, it’s just about coming together and trying to fix things in a different way, instead of a strong belief in going left or right,” said Rebecca Drew, president of No Labels. 

Drew joined No Labels initially because a friend of hers was a member. However, she enjoyed the exposure to different political ideas than the ones she grew up hearing. Prior to joining No Labels, she was also not actively invested in politics. 

“It’s kind of coming together and fixing things, not based on people’s emotions, but on what really needs to happen,” Drew said.

Paula Bobrowski, professor and associate dean in the college of liberal arts, has been the advisor for the student group since its inception. She was attracted to No Label’s goal of bringing people together for problem solving. 

When asked if she was heavily invested in politics, she said she preferred debates over the more polarizing aspects of party allegiance. However, she identifies as an Independent.

No Labels meets once a month on Wednesdays to discuss current political issues, and the group will join other student-run political organizations on campus on occasion for debates or other events.

“Usually we get the main headlines that are in the news,” Drew said. “People will, hopefully, talk together and have a big discussion.” 

Share and discuss “Student organization looking to destigmatize politics” on social media.