Campus Christian ministries prepare for spring semester, invite students of all denominations

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

As spring semester gets into full swing, many campus ministries are preparing events for students to partake in that aim to bring them closer to God and sharpen their faith.

There are numerous ministries on Auburn’s campus, and many denominations of Christianity represented in some way. This semester, these organizations are eager to host events that bring students together in faith.

Beta Upsilon Chi

Regan Pompeo, sophomore in psychology and pledge captain, explained that BYX is a social fraternity centered around Christian worship.

“It is a great atmosphere to be a part of,” Pompeo said. “We do everything a normal fraternity would do. We throw parties, have socials and brotherhood events. We also have worship nights, worship at every chapter and have a community group at church but on a much smaller scale.”

He said their mission is to be a source of light in the University’s Greek life as well as establish a Christian brotherhood.

This semester there are a variety of rush events happening soon for prospective members.

Rush events are being held on Jan. 24-26.

Aside from rush events, BYX is hosting things for all students to attend.

“We are holding a benefit night at The Bean called Mocha Music,” Pompeo said. “It’s a worship night where part of the money The Bean makes that night goes to Exodus Ranch, a local foster home.”

They have not determined a day yet, but Pompeo encourages students to follow the fraternity on social media for updates and ask questions.

“If you are looking for a community of solid Christian men to have fun and grow with then BYX is for you,” Pompeo said. 

Catholic Student Organization

Laura Mikos is a senior in education who is actively involved with CSO.

“The Auburn Catholic Student Organization is a campus organization that’s goal is to lead others closer to Christ through the sacraments and fellowship,” Mikos said.

However, she said all are welcome to come. Those interested do not have to be Catholic to come to events put on by the Catholic Student Organization.

“We have events almost every night of the week,” she said. “Those events include mass, Thursday night dinner, service projects, game nights and Adoration on Mondays.”

Aside from weekly events, Mikos listed some bigger events coming up this spring. A crawfish boil, a coffee social with swing dancing and capture the flag on campus are to come this semester. Events are posted on their Facebook page, Auburn Catholic, when they are announced.

The group also hosts a retreat on Lake Martin coming up on Feb. 22-25 called Pan y Vino.

Mikos encouraged anyone to come and said CSO would love to meet new attendees.

Lutheran Fellowship

Mason Woodard is a junior in geology and the president of the organization.

“The Auburn Lutheran Fellowship is a group of Auburn students across all walks of life and schooling that meet for free food and Jesus,” he said. “By that, I mean we meet weekly for Bible studies on Tuesday nights and free dinners on Sunday nights.”

This ministry works to become close with each other and God, as well as giving back to the community, Woodard explained.

“We create a small church family to grow not only in our faith but also as friends,” he said. “We also use our position to serve the community by working with the Alabama Rural Ministry and by donating excess funds at the end of the year.”

For those interested in the service work, he said they are doing a project at Alabama Rural Ministry on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and will try to do another one during the spring semester.

There will also be a retreat, either around the middle of the semester or after finals. Woodard expressed the quality time event does not have a date or location yet; however, some past retreats have been in Gulf Shores, Lake Martin, Fairhope and FDR State Park.

Woodard encourages anyone with questions to email him and come to their events.

“We have Dinners at 6:00 at Trinity Lutheran Church that are open to anyone interested in joining the group,” he said.

There is no one to be turned away.

“While we do sometimes focus on Lutheranism in particular, we already have students of other denominations in our group and welcome anyone wanting to get closer to God and their fellow Christians at Auburn,” Woodard said.

Delight

For women wanting to be surrounded and empowered by other women, Delight may be something to look into.

Abby Putz is a junior in biomedical sciences and is highly involved with this organization. She explained that Delight is a national ministry that has expanded since it took root at Belmont.

“At Auburn, our goal is to connect women to a Christ-centered community that allows them to grow in their relationship with the Lord and with one-another,” Putz said. “Our chapter meets weekly to worship and learn together.”

To get involved, going to the weekly meetings may be the best way to get a feel for what Delight is like.

“Delight welcomes anyone, in any walk of life, at any time,” Putz said. “We meet every Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Auburn University’s Student Center Room 2225.”

She said Delight is for any woman of any faith and walk of life, and they are excited to plan some upcoming events.

“At this time, we don’t have specific dates for our spring events,” she said. “However, we plan several service events and small fun events throughout the semester.”

Although there are no set big events, Delight is welcoming anyone to come to weekly gatherings and take part in faith-based growth this semester.

“Delight is largely a community focused ministry,” she said. “That being said, our doors are always open, and we would love for people to come to events or weekly meetings.”

Anyone interested can take Putz’s advice to find Delight on AUinvolve.

There are many more campus ministries that Auburn has to offer, including other religions. 

Looking on AUinvolve is one of the many ways to discover a faith-based organization that best fits the desired community.

Share and discuss “Campus Christian ministries prepare for spring semester, invite students of all denominations” on social media.