Auburn softball falls to Missouri State, Louisiana Tech as offense slows down

<p>Kendall Veach (24) bats&nbsp;for Auburn Softball against Arkansas Friday, April 20, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

Kendall Veach (24) bats for Auburn Softball against Arkansas Friday, April 20, 2018, in Auburn, Ala. 

Auburn looked different Saturday compared to the high-powered offense that opened the season scoring a combined 19 runs.

On the second day of the Sand Dollar Classic, the Tigers lost both games in their doubleheader with the Missouri State Bears and Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 4-3 and 2-1, respectively. 

Despite the outcome, Ashlee Swindle brought the heat against Missouri State in her second start of the season. 

The Bears scored four runs in the second inning of the day's first game while going 4-for-7 from the plate to start the game. Afterward, Swindle would not allow an opponent to progress beyond second base and finished the game with five strikeouts to only two walks. 

Justus Perry put the Tigers on the board with a bases-loaded walk following Taylon Snow’s single, Casey McCrackin’s double and an intentional two-out walk on Kendall Veach. Missouri State held a 4-1 lead until McCrackin hit the first of her two home runs on the day and Bree Fornis added a home run of her own. 

Separate from the offensive effort, State’s Steffany Dickerson would take the mound during the fifth inning and allowed only two baserunners for the remainder of the game.

Makayla Martin took the mound for Auburn against Louisiana Tech, and would go toe-to-toe with Tech’s Krystal De La Cruz through the first five innings. The Lady Techsters would ultimately strike first with a double straight down the third-base line by Zoe Hicks. 

McCrackin would add her second home run of the day in response for the tie.Tech proceeded to hit four straight singles in the top of the seventh, with Alyssa Rivera taking over for Martin on the mound. Rivera struck out Bayli Simon, but allowed a single to Kim Atienza that resulted in a go-ahead score. 

The Tigers turn their focus now to their final opponent in the Sand Dollar Classic, Florida A&M, who they will face at 10 a.m. EST on Feb. 10.

Share and discuss “Auburn softball falls to Missouri State, Louisiana Tech as offense slows down” on social media.