Auburn softball opens the season with back-to-back wins

<p>Kendall Veach (24) returns from the plate during Auburn softball vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Kendall Veach (24) returns from the plate during Auburn softball vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn started its 2019 season with some offensive firepower.

Bats came alive as the Tigers exploded against Tennessee State for an 11-4 win and later beat Western Kentucky 8-0 in five innings.

Kendall Veach's went 4-for-4 against TSU, including two home runs, and the senior would add another home run to her total for the day with a solo shot against the Lady Toppers later in the afternoon. 

Auburn finished the day with five home runs as both Casey McCrackin and Alyssa Rivera went over the fence against WKU. 

Veach opened the offense with an RBI in the top of the first against the opposing Tigers, which sent McCrackin home base with a single to left field. Patton Akers responded for TSU at the bottom of the inning with a solo shot. 

The score remained 1-1 before Rivera singled up the middle at the top of the fourth, scoring Veach from third. Rivera and Brittany Marsette, who was the pinch runner for Justus Perry, would both score on a fielder's choice. 

TSU would respond once again with a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth. Veach extended the Auburn lead with her first home run of the season making it 5-3. 

In the next inning, Veach's bat kept the offense going with a three-run home run. Morgan Podany would double to send Carmyn Greenwood home in the next inning and make it 10-3 for the Tigers. A sacrifice fly later by Taylon Snow would score Podany.

In the game against WKU, Makayla Martin pitched a two-hit gem while striking out seven without a walk through five innings. While Martin kept the Lady Toppers grounded, Rivera continued her hitting dominance to start the season as she went 3-for-3, including a solo home run.

Auburn continues play at the Sand Dollar Classic with games against Missouri State at 2 p.m. and Louisiana Tech at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Share and discuss “Auburn softball opens the season with back-to-back wins” on social media.