Lee County Special Olympics holds regional qualifying bowling tournament

Special Olympics bowling tournament on Mar. 5, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The AMF Lanes were filled on Tuesday and Wednesday with about 275 athletes who participated in the Lee County Bowling Tournament, held by Auburn Parks and Recreation.

Children, teens and adults participated in the tournament with the hope to qualify for the Special Olympics state games held in May. The minimum age to participate is 8 years old. 

Bowling is one of the most popular sports, said Lee County Special Olympics Director Elizabeth Kaufman.

“Bowling is one of our most popular sports because it’s something that anyone can participate in no matter their ability level or age,” Kaufman said. “If someone uses a wheelchair or if someone used an assisted device, this is the perfect sport because it’s so adaptable.”

Athletes have been practicing since August, learning different bowling related skills and practicing for the tournament.

“Everyone works really hard on it up to this point and most will bowl between 15 to 20 games in order to get ready for it,” Kaufman said.

The tournament has been held every March at the AMF Lanes for years now, and that the competition has turned into one of the biggest Special Olympics tournaments they hold, Kaufman said. 

“They usually learn skills like where to start, how to stand and throw the ball properly,” Kaufman said. “They will also learn proper hand positioning, or if they use the ramp, how to position the ramp and use it correctly.”

The tournament is a big deal because it brings people from all over Lee County to compete together and also showcase all their skills and hard work, Kaufman said. 

“We have a very large population of people with special needs and varying abilities,” Kaufman said. “Special Olympics is a great opportunity for our athletes to get involved and involve the community.”

There are multiple ways for people to get involved if they are interested. People can volunteer to coach sports teams, or participate as peer partner on a unified team for certain sports, as well as volunteer to help with tournaments, Kaufman said. 

“We’ve had an amazing response from the community, and a lot of growth,” Kaufman said. “Inclusion is always our main goal, and Special Olympics is that great opportunity for everyone to be successful and have that opportunity to shine.” 

Share and discuss “Lee County Special Olympics holds regional qualifying bowling tournament” on social media.