Students have mutually beneficial relationship with local sisters

<p>Jessie Floyd and Mary Grace Burks mentor local children.</p>

Jessie Floyd and Mary Grace Burks mentor local children.

When asked which Project Uplift memory had stuck with them the most, Auburn students Mary Grace Burkes and Jessie Floyd were unanimous.

“Our very favorite thing we did with our kids was taking them to the Auburn University locker room the Friday before a home game,” Floyd said. “We got to go onto the field and see what the football players do each Saturday. Our kids were so excited about this opportunity, and it was really a bonding experience for us.”

Project Uplift is a mentoring organization at Auburn University. 

They focus on helping children develop happy, constructive lives in order to reduce the delinquency rate in Lee County. 

It is governed and funded by the Lee County Youth Development Center’s Board of Directors. 

The organization strives to attract Auburn students to help young children stay on a path toward academic and personal prosperity. 

“Project Uplift encourages mentors to be a light to their mentees and to be there for them in any capacity that we can,” Floyd said. “Because of this, we could not help but want to be a part of it.”

Burkes, senior in rehabilitation and disabilities, and Floyd, senior in elementary education, have been sorority sisters, friends and partner volunteers at Project Uplift since they were freshmen.

They said they had a number of reasons why they were attracted to Project Uplift.

“We decided to join Project Uplift for many reasons,” Floyd said. “The first being that both of us love children, and we wanted to give back to the greater Auburn-Opelika area. The University offers many ways to do that, but Project uplift is unique in that it offers opportunities for long-term relationships where we get to show two young children our lives and mentor them through their elementary years.”

Through the organization, the pair of mentors have devoted several hours each week. 

They mentor two elementary-aged sisters, Taylor and Taniya. 

During their time with the sisters, the girls will go to the park, attend a Project Uplift event, hangout at the big sisters’ house, do arts and crafts or, on special occasions, get ice cream. 

“Our experience has been beneficial because it has given us a deep appreciation for diverse culture and lifestyles,” Floyd said. “Without this opportunity, we would’ve never fully understood the greater Auburn-Opelika community. We’ve gotten a chance to spend time with a family who is encouraging and tight-knit.”

As the two girls approach graduation, they have glowing reviews for their time with Project Uplift and their little sisters. 

“We have seen how a relationship can grow so much in just a little time,” Floyd said. “It has been wonderful to support our two kids through three years of their elementary school. Not only did we make some of the best memories with them, but we also learned how to care for, support and love children really well.”

Share and discuss “Students have mutually beneficial relationship with local sisters” on social media.