Protestors interrupt CIA Director Gina Haspel's national security forum at Auburn University

CIA Director Gina Haspel takes questions at The Hotel at Auburn University on Thursday, April 18, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Though there were a pair protestors at the event, CIA Director Gina Haspel told a crowd of Auburn students and community members about the current state of national security in the U.S. and the future of the agency.

Auburn hosted Haspel for a national security forum at the Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center on Thursday, April 18, 2019, at 9 a.m. 

Gen. Ronald Burgess, former Defense Intelligence Agency director and Auburn University’s chief operating officer, moderated the forum. 

A man interrupted the talk a few minutes into Haspel’s talk, yelling about her involvement with torture and the evidence he alleged she destroyed. 

When President Donald Turmp named Haspel to the position, a New York Times report detailed how Haspel oversaw the torture of a terrorism suspect in 2002 as a clandestine officer and later took part in an order to destroy videotapes documenting the brutal interrogations at a secret prison in Thailand. CIA officials have disavowed the interrogation methods, but Trump has repeatedly said he believes torture works. 

“Tell these young children,” he yelled. “Tell them who you tortured. You know their names. They’re still in Guantanamo Bay. You’re a decrepit human being, and the only people you should be talking to is a prison guard in a jail cell.”

The man was immediately escorted, and the talk continued. 

Burgess addressed the protestor about 12 minutes later when the Q&A portion of the event started. Burgess said intelligence professionals work hard everyday in a difficult job. He also said we are a nation of law and civil liberties. 

He directly addressed the protestor’s remark about Guantanamo Bay because a few books have referred to him as the father of Guantanamo Bay because he was the intelligence professional who stood up to the interrogation at the detention site. He said they did they best they could to follow the law. 

“While I defend, and I will defend, his right to make the statement he made because we are a free country, there’s a time and place for that discussion, and that was not the time and place,” Burgess said. 

Another protestor immediately interjected. 

“So is that how you justify crimes against humanity?” he asked. 

Burgess told him that attendees could submit questions on cards that were given out upon entry.

“I’m just saying if you won’t ever answer it, then when should we expect you to?” the protestor responded. 

The man was then escorted out. 

“Welcome to Auburn University,” Burgess said, which incited laughs from the crowd. 

According to Lorenza Dorsey, Auburn Police Division captain, Auburn police escorted the protestors out of the hotel. The individuals cooperated and no arrests were made. 

Dorsey said one of the protestors is a 20-year-old Auburn student from Dothan, Alabama, and the other is a 19-year-old non-Auburn student from Auburn. 

There were no other protestors, and neither Haspel nor Burgess addressed the protestors again.

Prior to the forum, Burgess talked to some of her and Haspel’s mutual friends because he finds it interesting to get a sense of who a person is behind the scenes. He said her peers describe her as a quiet professional. 

“She cares deeply about her people,” Burgess said. “She’s thoughtful. She’s resolute. And I can’t tell you how much, in her position in Washington D.C., how much that last word really means.”

Haspel is nearing her first anniversary on the job as she was sworn in on May, 18, 2018. She manages agency’s intelligence collection, analysis and covert action, counterintelligence and liaison relationships with foreign services. 

She is the first ever woman to be CIA director. 

Haspel talked about the current state of intelligence affairs and threats the U.S. faces, including Iran and social media presence from Russia. 

Haspel also mentioned a few times that she has met Auburn alumni in her field, speaking volumes to the passion they have for the University. 

In her first assignment in Africa, Haspel said she met a proud Auburn alum who was a Baptist missionary in the area. Because her boss at the time was also an Auburn alum, she knew the Auburn Family is extremely passionate about its University.

Haspel learned of a scare the missionary’s wife had on their trip. The man was clutching his chest and gasping for air when his wife walked into the room, scared because they were hundreds of miles from the nearest hospital. 

At last, the alum jumped up from bed yelling “touchdown Auburn, touchdown Auburn,” as he was listening to a radiobroadcast of an Auburn victory in the Iron Bowl.

“Now, that just goes to show that you can find an Auburn football fan anywhere, even in the most remote corners of the globe,” Haspel said. 

Haspel started off the forum by thanking Burgess for moderating and said she was glad to see all the young faces in the crowd. 

“I also want to thank all of you for being here today,” Haspel said. “It’s really encouraging to see so many young people taking an interest in our nation’s security and the role the CIA plays in protecting our country.” 

Haspel also congratulated Auburn for the men’s basketball team recently making it to the first Final Four in program history, which elicited cheers and “War Eagles” from the crowd. She said, as a Kentucky native and Wildcats fan, it was difficult to watch the two teams matchup in the Elite Eight, but she rooted for the Tigers after the game. 

In reference to the mission of the CIA, Haspel said it is tasked with the difficult jobs, and its officers carry out those jobs with courage and ingenuity. 

“I could not be more proud of them,” Haspel said. “Over the past year, our leadership team has taken steps to improve CIA’s challenges we face, and our efforts are beginning to pay off.”

Haspel praised Trump’s leadership over the past year, especially his relationship with North Korea. 

For the students in the audience, Haspel said there are many niches they could find in the agency.

“You’re at a very exciting point in your life, and you’re on the cusp of what could be a greater venture,” Haspel said. I encourage you to think about what you’re interested in and whether there’s a place for you in the intelligence community or CIA.”

As the first woman ever as CIA director, Haspel encouraged women to shoot high.

"I think my advice to young women at CIA would be exactly the same I would give young men coming through the door, and that is work hard," Haspel said. "The other piece of advice I like to give young officers is raise your hand for the tough jobs. Don't stand on the sidelines."

Share and discuss “Protestors interrupt CIA Director Gina Haspel's national security forum at Auburn University” on social media.