Logo update: University says it's not a new logo; it's a new 'visual identity system'

<p>Auburn cheerleader Jackson Walraven&nbsp;runs with the flag during&nbsp;Auburn vs Vanderbilt football game in Jordan-Hare stadium Nov. 5, 2016.</p>

Auburn cheerleader Jackson Walraven runs with the flag during Auburn vs Vanderbilt football game in Jordan-Hare stadium Nov. 5, 2016.

It's not a new logo — it's a new "visual identity system," Auburn University stated in an email Friday evening, a day after Brandon Marcello of Auburn Undercover reported that the famous logo had been updated.

The "U" was larger than the "A" in the old "visual identity system," but now the "A" is equal in size to the "U," according to the University's Office of Communication and Marketing.

Some Auburn fans reacted angrily to the change, others said a difference was barely noticeable. The University stated that the change was necessary in order to make the "AU" more usable in "digital forms." 

The University's Office of Communication and Marketing did not respond to a request for a phone interview on Friday morning. 

The new "visual identity system" will not bring any additional costs, according to the University, because the design will be implemented into new materials as they are reordered in "regular replacement schedules."

The University stated that the new logos have already begun to be implemented in "promotional materials," but did not specify what those materials are.

The Plainsman received the following response, formatted in a FAQ, from the University:

Why are we updating Auburn’s visual identity system?

· We have updated our identity system to make it more compatible with the many ways we use it and to elevate the Auburn brand.

How will this new system be implemented?

· The system will follow a phased-in process that has already begun and is designed to not incur any additional expense. The subtle nature of the updated system allows it to easily co-exist with what is currently in place with no need for costly replacements of signs or other major projects. As such, the new system will be enacted as materials are reordered according to regular replacement schedules.

When will the new system be launched?

· A first phase of implementation has already started with some promotional materials and will be further phased in throughout fall semester.

What process will be used to implement this new system in both academic and athletic uses?

· The new identity system calls for a defined, systematic use in both academic and athletic areas – with Auburn’s traditional blue and orange being reflected with athletic uses and a blue and white presentation being followed for the academic side of campus.

Does Auburn have a new logo?

· Auburn does not have a new logo. Auburn has a new visual identity system that includes tweaks to the AU to make it more useable in digital forms, which is the primary way in which it is currently used. The tweak involves making the U the same size as the A. Previously, the U was significantly larger than the A.

Will Auburn begin using the font “Sabon” instead of the traditional “Copperplate” that the university has used in Athletics?

· Copperplate is still in use for Athletics and the word Auburn is in a font called unitext.

Prior to this new update, when did the last change occur involving Auburn’s visual identity and how did it compare to the most recent adjustment?

· The Auburn tower logo of a few years ago was a bigger change. Ultimately, the tower logo was dropped, greatly amplifying the use and visibility of the AU. This new move makes the AU even more prevalent, used by the institution as a whole. We have now updated our visual identity system for the entire university, which is something we’ve not had before. We’ve also made subtle adjustments to the AU so that the A is the same size as the U and that the serifs on the A and U are the same size proportionately.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Logo update: University says it's not a new logo; it's a new 'visual identity system'” on social media.